Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL ridiculously slow again

FIXED
esgesp
Dabbler

ADSL ridiculously slow again

Dear team,

Tested lan wired to router from BT test socket.

Stats from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Download Speed (Mbps): 0.39
Upload Speed (Mbps) : 0.08
Ping Latency (ms): 752

And stats from https://www.speedtest.net/

Download Speed (Mbps): 0.66
Upload Speed (Mbps) : 0.00
Ping Latency (ms): 27

...and from http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 1136
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 12515

All stats taken at Date/Time: Sun Jan 5 17:09:48 2020

What is going on? I've got internet yes, no drop but I cannot do anything with this, it took me ages to just open the community PlustNet site to log this post!

I experienced similar slowdown even with drops yesterday full day until 23:00 when it came to normal.

Can anyone please help me to check and update my line?

Kind regards,

15 REPLIES 15
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: ADSL ridiculously slow again

Is your phone line working? Dial 17070 option 2. is it quiet?

Have you tried another router, or reset it?

esgesp
Dabbler

Hi @Mustrum,

Thanks for your interest. Yes, the phone line is perfect, no noise at all.

Yesterday I tried with another router (an old Now Broadband I have) for a while and still had the same problem with the broadband speed but also constant drops. Then I called customer service since a chat agent just left me chatting to myself, nice service?! ... and customer services said they would update my line and had to disconnect my router for an hour and then wait for 4 hours to have some stability, at 23:00 this was not so bad or this morning however this afternoon evening this slowdown has come up again.

Please let me know if someone can review my line and investigate the issue, I am happy to share any router stats if that would help.

Kind regards,

Mustrum
Community Veteran

It sounds like you are quite a way from the exchange. 

What speeds and/or services can your line expect to support? Enter your phone number in the DSL Checker

It might be worth quoting your ticket number on here where one of the staff members may step in and look at your issue.

esgesp
Dabbler

Thanks again @Mustrum,

How do you know I am quite a way from the exchange or is that just a guess?

I got this from the DSL Checker,

Telephone Number [Removed] on Exchange MILTON KEYNES is served by Cabinet 41

Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps) - 11.93

Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps) - 1.27

Observed Date - 2020-01-05

I can confirm that I have never come close to these speeds since with PlusNet.

PlusNet tops when my broadband performs normal are, 10.05Mbps and 0.90Mbps however with others I have had in the past such as Now, BT, TalkTalk or Sky I have seen myself surfing at between 11-12Mbps and 1.3-1.8Mbps, never got this with PlusNet, first year with PlusNet for me anyway. I do not complain here that PlusNet did not give me as others however I cannot accept the line going down to 0.39Mbps download and 0.08Mbps upload as I have experienced late this week.

My ticket number as you requested is Question #197640978 and I appreciate the support they provided however not getting anything better for now except for the drops that did not happen anymore but speed still out of contract|

I hope someone can actually check my line and investigate, reset, update or do whatever the action is needed for this to come back to normal.

Kind regards,

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

asenior

I’m having the exact same issues as you. Usually get about 10mbps but I’m currently seeing about 280kbps with lots of disconnections/drops.
I’ve tried 2 different routers and the phone line is clear, what’s going on, are plusnet having issues? It’s been like this for the past few days
Mustrum
Community Veteran

@esgesp  it was a guess, but seems I got it wrong! It was just based on your speed tests.

BTW, you should remove your phone number, its a public forum, bots may spot it and you will get lots of unwanted calls!

Its a shame you did not post the whole results, but based on what you have it seems you gave a decent connection, so now I wonder how you are testing, wired or WiFi? And is there anything else using your connection at the time you test?

esgesp
Dabbler

Hi @Mustrum,

Thanks for your advice. I tried to edit the post however it looks like I cannot and you are right my number is there, I am not sure if a moderator can edit it and obfuscate the number for me. Apologies about this.

The speeds as shown in dslchecker are not what I experience in real life, that is the reason I am reporting this here and yesterday to the customer service team but I am still waiting if someone can really check my line from PlusNet. This despicable behaviour of the line going down unexpectedly to under 1Mbps and then back to normal about 10Mbps and then down again is killing me!

Please see from my first post the way I am testing,

Tested lan wired to router from BT test socket.

Stats from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Download Speed (Mbps): 0.39
Upload Speed (Mbps) : 0.08
Ping Latency (ms): 752

I am on the test socket since yesterday morning!

No other devices using the broadband at the same time of my tests.

Kind regards,

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @esgesp I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems. I've tested your line tonight and the tests aren't showing any causes for this but we can see your connection is dropping heavily:

Can you report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net posting back afterwards so we can arrange an engineer visit with you to investigate this further?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @asenior If you've tried plugging your router into the test socket I'd give the same advice to you as above, because your line is dropping heavily as shown below and we'd need to arrange an engineer to investigate this.

Can you let us know once you've raised the fault?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
esgesp
Dabbler

Thanks @Gandalf for investigating.

I already logged a ticket as per below information.

Date raised Question ID Status
4 Jan 2020 197640978 Answered by support team

Do you need me to raise a new one or can this be used to track my line performance?

Alternatively, if you can generate the same report by the mid this week to see if my line still has these repetitive drops.

Please let me know what you think is best to resolve this.

Kind regards,

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @esgesp 

The ticket 197640978 is about the wireless performance between your router and your devices, which isn't really the same as the fault you're experiencing with your broadband connection dropping.

I'm happy to raise a fault on your behalf if you'd want, or if you'd prefer to monitor this first feel free to post back in a day or so and we'll be happy to retest your line and provide a fresh connection graph.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
esgesp
Dabbler

Thank you @Gandalf,

Let's make a fresh report on Friday to see where we are with my line issue.

My experience so far is that I haven't noticed repeatedly drops since Sunday 05/12 although the speed is not yet that I used to have in past weeks and months, I have observed this since the customer services team updated my line Saturday 04/12.

I will give you a nudge Friday 10/12 in the morning so that you can assist with the new report and analysis.

Kind regards,

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem and sounds like a plan.

Let me know how it goes by Friday.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
esgesp
Dabbler

Morning @Gandalf,

I hope you are well.

I am just writing again since the issues reappeared around Sunday evening and have continued yesterday and early morning today when I had no internet at all. Last week the line looked stable although the speed was not that I used to have in the past. Now the speed has not improved and stability is intermittent again.

I would appreciate if you can produce a fresh graph of my line behaviour and investigate further for me.

Much appreciated.

Kind regards,