cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL on new style openreach fibre socket?

GJenkins
Grafter

ADSL on new style openreach fibre socket?

Hi there,
Just a quickie, I found my old Talktalk ADSL modem but can't find a microfilter anywhere.
Im having adsl provisioned on the line at the beginning of Jan while plusnet sort out problems with my fibre order.
Would it be safe to assume that a microfilter is still needed and the old ADSL modem is not going to work in the same socket as the fibre modem?
I figure it won't since them two wires drift off to the fibre cabinet rather than the exchange.
(trying to save myself having to hunt for the filter and pull out 50 drawers!)
15 REPLIES 15
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: ADSL on new style openreach fibre socket?

If you have an RJ11 on the face plate as well as the BT line connector, then you don't need an additional filter.
ADSL modem plugs straight in to the RJ11
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: GJenkins
Hi there,
Just a quickie, I found my old Talktalk ADSL modem but can't find a microfilter anywhere.
Im having adsl provisioned on the line at the beginning of Jan while plusnet sort out problems with my fibre order.
Would it be safe to assume that a microfilter is still needed and the old ADSL modem is not going to work in the same socket as the fibre modem?
I figure it won't since them two wires drift off to the fibre cabinet rather than the exchange.

A couple of things there.
First, the wires from the VDSL2 socket don't go back to the fibre cabinet. Have a read of the RobertoS description of FTTC.
As the Openreach filter has been fitted, do you know what the problem was with completing the job? Usually the cabinet end described in that link is done before coming to you. (But maybe you had one of the Kelly/Quinn berks who couldn't open the PCP but continued to you to fit the filter?). So  the engineer that connects the ADSLx is going to have to undo that and also connect to ADSLx at the exchange.  Once that is done, then the modem socket the engineer fitted is fine for ADSLx. Just plug the ADSL cable in as normal for a filtered faceplate.
Is it Plusnet providing the ADSLx? If not, and they are still trying to sort out the FTTC, things are going to get verrryyy complicated.
GJenkins
Grafter

Hiya, its nothing to do with the engineering as fibre works perfectly well on the line.
The problem is that it is a reprovisioning but for some reason plusnet are being told that fibre isnt available in my area, since the line is already fibre capable and has been for over a year, the 'system' is clearly incorrect
According to plusnets suppliers, the workaround is to get ADSL activated first and then have a new fibre order.
But my main concern was how the old ADSL modem connects to a fibre enabled socket, wether it would plug in where the fibre plugs in, or the main phone socket. Made a quick call and it turns out that it has to be the main phone socket rather then the fibre one that is just above it.
knowdice
Rising Star

Made a quick call and it turns out that it has to be the main phone socket rather then the fibre one that is just above it.

And who told you that?
GJenkins
Grafter

Plusnet.
There are technical differences between a fibre modem and an adsl modem which means that they are totally incompatible with each other. ADSL modems should only be plugged into the main phone socket via a filter, and the fibre modem only plug into the fibre socket on the faceplate. Makes sense to me!
Not that it matters - ive located a filter 😃
knowdice
Rising Star

Interesting...
Can't see what that would be.
The filter separates the "High Band" ADSL or VDSL from the "Low Band" voice signals.
Note that the BT supplied "modem" does VDSL+ or can be configured to do ADSL on the same RJ11 connector.
http://www.clarity.it/vdsl_nte5_adaptor_faceplate.htm
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bandwidth.htm
As the high band has already been filtered from the voice socket...I will be surprised if you will get any ADSL signal there... Embarrassed
Estragon
Rising Star

As knowdice says, no dice using the phone socket for ADSLx after the VDSL faceplate has been fitted. The VDSL faceplate is just a more easily fitted version of the old BT filtered faceplate.
The Plusnet walla is talking rot.  Needs "re-training".
To illustrate, (in the reverse context), many engineers installing FTTC and finding an existing filtered faceplate (from any reputable supplier) for ADSLx don't even bother with the new one. They would have to remove all extensions from the original filtered faceplate and reconnect them to a new NTE5A, then install that onto the new interstitial plate. For no good reason, so they don't.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Estragon
The VDSL faceplate is just a more easily fitted version of the old BT filtered faceplate.

Agreed.
I use one on my ADSL2+ connection; it's excellent.
GJenkins
Grafter

Strange, I just called PN again and they said that the adsl modem plugs into the same socket as the fibre.... yep very confusing! Oh well, we'll see on the 4th Smiley
Estragon
Rising Star

You might even find the Openreach modem and the Plusnet fibre router connect to the ADSL2+ connection automatically, given your ADSL login details. Just as for fibre.
It depends on whether the modem is set to train down to ADSLx from VDSL in it's default setup ...
goes to look at his unlocked modem...
... looks as though it is set to "All", so it should work.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Plusnet.
There are technical differences between a fibre modem and an adsl modem which means that they are totally incompatible with each other. ADSL modems should only be plugged into the main phone socket via a filter, and the fibre modem only plug into the fibre socket on the faceplate. Makes sense to me!

Somebody getting mixed up with fibre to the premises?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
GJenkins
Grafter

Hmm thanks for that, I'll see how it goes, ill leave the OR plugged in for now.
And quite possibly Jelv! Mind you, I don't think she was properly trained for tech support, she was was more sales than anything Smiley
GJenkins
Grafter

Well turns out that it does connect into the same socket as the fibre modem does 😃
I thought I'd give my old D-Link ADSL router a try as there was a DSL light on the OR fibre modem but it just wouldn't authorise my Netgear Router.
I unplugged the line from the OR modem and plugged it into the dlink (I was too lazy to shift a cupboard) and after updating the username and password, the modem connects perfectly well 😃
knowdice
Rising Star

Did you try PPPoE on the D-Link?