cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL on long lines

MikeLerwill

ADSL on long lines

My mother has been a plusnet customer for over 2 years now with a 512K fixed connection and has been reasonably happy with the service. Recently she has received a communication from plusnet suggesting that she could upgrade to the upto 8Mb service. The BT adslchecker still says the following for her number.
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Why then is plusnet offering the upto 8Mb upgrade?
4 REPLIES 4
Mand
Grafter

Re: ADSL on long lines

Hi there,
The email you mention was sent to all customers who have not yet requested an upgrade to MaxDSL, as many customers still seem unaware that this can be done for free.
If you know what the line stats are for the line in question, or if you'd like to PM me the telephone number, I'd be happy to take a further look and give a more realistic estimate.
It's worth bearing in mind that the BT checker is a guesstimate of possible speeds, and we can run tests that will give a reliable indication for you.
MikeLerwill

Thankyou Mand,
I have sent you a PM with the phone number.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Unfortunately it looks like 512 is the maximum the line can hold.
We can upgrade it to Max, but there is very little chance of a speed uplift so in all honesty I'd recommend staying as is.
MikeLerwill

Mand,
That was what I was expecting but thanks for checking.