cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL intermittently slow then this evening gone very flakey

Routefinder1

ADSL intermittently slow then this evening gone very flakey

Hi Has been a long while since I have had to post about a problem as follows:- For the past 2 to 3 weeks I have noticed an annoying but short lived (about an hour) slowing in page loading and internet related sluggishness but my connection speed has been very stable at approx 3600kbps with and Margin of 3.5db I put this down to demand on the exchange increased contention. However a short while ago at about 9:45pm there was a significant change:- Browsing effectively died in that page loading times were almost 'dead'. Thinking it might have been a gateway issue I rebooted the Router and went from psb-lr01 to ptn-ag04. This seemed to make a small difference hence posting here now. Looking at my Routerstats connection monitor the connection is dropping repeatedly and the new gateway is speed 3392 kbpdand Margin 5.0db, clearly lower than I have been used for many months/years with not even a blip in my stable connection. With so many other reports in the same period, even to the same day I do think this is a core event even though the PN Status Page says all in the "green". I hope this is only a brief interruption and that the network boffins can sort it out soon Smiley I look forward to any insights. TIA I have added RouterStats 'captures' from this evening and the 9th April to show the difference (NB I do not run RouterStats all the time so the most recent date prior to today when I recorded was the 9th April.
2 REPLIES 2
Routefinder1

Re: ADSL intermittently slow then this evening gone very flakey

By way of an update!

I was puzzled as to whilst the above was going I still had using my WiFi linked phone to the router an normally usable internet connection.

I could only conclude that there was an oddity this evening (Note ~ the aforementioned evening slowdown also affected my phone connection) in regard to my PC ethernet connection.................though the Routerstats appeared to "suggest" the issue was the router the program obviously relies on the PC network connector/connection ~ though why would it show an increased Margin.

However, to check my theory I Restarted the PC as that would flush out all persistent background applications that might remain from a 'shutdown and reboot' plus (though in hindsight I should have waited) I power cycled the router again.

Suffice to say the problem appears to be resolved ~ see attached graphs ~ as my speed is now 3667kbps though the margin is still a little higher at 4.1db compared to originally.

I would welcome some feedback from the CSC guys 'n gals as to the connection logs on my account as to what they have been showing???

TIA for that information but it seems for now what I have seen is an anomoly!

PS I note that my membership appears to not show my history...............says I am a newbie :lol:  So, none too sure why that has happened???

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: ADSL intermittently slow then this evening gone very flakey

Moderators Note

Post released from spam filter.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'