Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL from an All In One Cab?

cancunia
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

ADSL from an All In One Cab?

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere & am happy to be redirected if so.

From discussions today with an OR engineer while he was fixing my ADSL, it turns out that my phone line runs via an AIO cabinet but as I'm too far away FTTC from that cabinet is not possible / practical. I wondered if anyone knows if the DSLAMs in the FTTC cabinets can also be ADSL in addition to VDSL, or if it's possible to have line cards for ADSL in the FTTC cabs? The AIO cabinet can't be serving many users as it's in a remote location so I thought that if an ADSL card could be put in there, some others on long distance lines via that cab could maybe get fatster ADSL?

3 REPLIES 3
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: ADSL from an All In One Cab?

Several years ago people were considering using ADSL2+ from the cabinets, this was scrapped, later Long Reach VDSL was considered, which was also scrapped.

The problem was and still is that the transmission power level from the cabinet has to be reduced to prevent it adversely affecting ADSL signals being transmitted from the exchange, it doesn't really matter whether it's VDSL2 or ADSL2+ from the cabinet, it would still have to be limited in power output.

Long Reach VDSL would have required getting everyone on the cabinet off of ADSL from the exchange, and basically that couldn't be done.

The line cards in the cabinet are perfectly capable of doing ADSL. But it's not going to happen.

cancunia
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply, seems a shame that I can't get a shorter line length ADSL via that AIO FTTC cab but I'm not really interested in paying FTTC prices for ADSL speeds, even if BT were prepared to try & connect me.

From what the OR engineer told me it's 1.3 miles to the cab from my house (over 3 to the exchange) so would work nicely with ADSL. There can't be many other users on the cab due to it's location so it would not be a big deal to migrate them all but I suppose then there'd be an issue with LLU.

cancunia
Rising Star

A quick update after some more light reading on the subject:

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4595563-why-no-adsl-line-cards-in-dslam-cabinets.html

"Currently, VDSL2 from the cabinet has to be modified so as to not interfere with ADSL2+ from the exchange. 

The power has to be reduced where the spectrum overlaps, such that the cabinet can transmit at no higher power than the ADSL2+ signals are at when they pass the cabinet (so VDSL2 has to be at lower power for cabinets that are further from the exchange).

If BT wanted to transmit ADSL2+ from the cabinet, it would have to comply with the same rules (so as to not interfere with Sky or TT ADSL2+ from the exchange) ... and the rule would apply to the whole of the ADSL2+ spectrum.

Once you put that rule in place, the range of ADSL2+ from the cabinet becomes identical to the range of exchange-basedADSL2+ beyond that cabinet. So there's no point."