cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL dropping frequently

MikeBz
Rising Star

ADSL dropping frequently

FYI I've been seeing increasing occurrences of my broadband dropping out as well.  It's happened at least once a day for the last 3 days but I've noticed it happening on & off for some weeks.  Generally it is only for a few minutes at a time but on Sunday evening it was gone for at least 30 minutes.  Rebooting the router doesn't help.  It doesn't make any difference whether I'm wired or not. When it happens if I try to tracert to a known IP address I get "Destination net unreachable".  If it gets any more annoying I'll go through the correct process to report it.  Over the last few years my average download speed has gradually reduced to the point where it's now around 5-6MB/s where it was around 15MB/s a year or two ago Sad
15 REPLIES 15
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Internet randomly dropping off

@MikeBz - Looking at your account I can see the connection has been dropping quite a bit which has caused DLM to apply banding to the line, which is why the max speed your getting is around 6Mbps. The way it's been going it could get worse.
I'd definitely advise completing the troubleshooter you started earlier this morning.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MikeBz
Rising Star

Thanks Harry, that's very helpful.  I'll try and get it done this evening.
Apologies for hijacking Macdonle's thread.  I'll start a new one when I've completed the troubleshooter.
Regards,
Mike
MikeBz
Rising Star

ADSL dropping frequently

Further to my hijack of <a href="http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,145432.0.html">this</a> thread, I have now completed the troubleshooter which has created a ticket.  I'll get my  hands on another router to test with asap.
If it helps, the status info from my router looks like this (apologies for lack of formatting):

Basic Status
Device Information
Firmware Version:0.6.0 0.4 v0005.0 Build 130217 Rel.62075n
Hardware Version:TD-W8968 v1 00000000
System up time:2 day(s) 02:42:46
DSL
Line Status:Connected
DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_2plus
Annex Type:Annex A/I/J/L/M
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 1035 6652
Max Rate (Kbps) 1032 17788
SNR Margin (dB) 6.7 19.8
Line Attenuation (dB) 7.5 12
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
Mike
MikeBz
Rising Star

[Superfluous link to this thread removed]
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: ADSL dropping frequently

Thanks for reporting a fault as requested Mike and I hope to see that get sorted soon.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MikeBz
Rising Star

I've had a message from PlusNet which says"from our tasting it appears your fault has been resolved". However my router logs shows that the connection dropped twice on Friday and again for 6 minutes this afternoon.  I'm still only getting 5MBbps down and 0.35Mbns up, so no change.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Looks like it's much more stable than it was (The drop around now was me testing the line)

Unfortunately it looks like whoever advised you the line was stable didn't notice the banding on the line.
I've put a reset through for you and you're now in sync at 17.5Mbps so I'd expect you to be getting somewhere around 15Mbps now Wink

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MikeBz
Rising Star

Thanks Harry.  I'm still only getting 5.5Mbps up and 0.38 Mbps down - does it take a while for the reset to take effect?
How often is it considered 'acceptable' for the line to drop, and if it does how quickly should it normally reconnect?
MikeBz
Rising Star

Average this morning, 5.6Mbps down and 0.1Mbps up.  It should be a lot better than this.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@MikeBz
Can you try again now and let us know what speeds you're seeing?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quote from: MikeBz
I'm still only getting 5.5Mbps up and 0.38 Mbps down - does it take a while for the reset to take effect?

Hi Mike,
There is a 'chain' of events which needs to happen post the line reset.
1. The 'lifting' of the synch speed restriction has to 'work' - PlusNET could have got that wrong or BTw's tools for doing this could have failled which happens far too frequently
2. Your modem has to resynch at the unrestricted speed - if there is still the issue present which caused the speed restriction this might not happen
3. BT systems then reset your IP profile which determins your maximum data speed
4. BT passes the new profile to PlusNET - sometimes this fails
5. PlusNET apply the supplied profile to your line - sometimes this fails
6. To utilise the new profile the PPP session between the router and PlusNET needs to be refreshed - step 5 above should do this automatically, but sometimes it fails
So to see what state you are in the above, following the speed issues thread and posting the full router stats, full BTw speed test (further diagnostics) and current line speed (see link below) would be very helpful.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MikeBz
Rising Star

Quote from: Chris
@MikeBz
Can you try again now and let us know what speeds you're seeing?

Thanks Chris, that's better:

I see the line dropped briefly at 9:07 and 9:33 - I guess that was you tinkering with something?
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: Townman
Quote from: MikeBz
I'm still only getting 5.5Mbps up and 0.38 Mbps down - does it take a while for the reset to take effect?

6. To utilise the new profile the PPP session between the router and PlusNET needs to be refreshed - step 5 above should do this automatically, but sometimes it fails
Kevin

I think this is pretty much what happened.
I made sure it was updated on BTWholesale and on the account. But the change on the account went through about 1 minute after the connection had come back online. We've made the connection drop this morning to try and refresh that.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MikeBz
Rising Star

Thanks Kevin that's useful info.  It does seem to be sorted now that Chris has forced it to drop the connection & restablish it.
Thanks to Chris & HarryB too.
Quote from: Townman

Hi Mike,
There is a 'chain' of events which needs to happen post the line reset.
1. The 'lifting' of the synch speed restriction has to 'work' - PlusNET could have got that wrong or BTw's tools for doing this could have failled which happens far too frequently
2. Your modem has to resynch at the unrestricted speed - if there is still the issue present which caused the speed restriction this might not happen
3. BT systems then reset your IP profile which determins your maximum data speed
4. BT passes the new profile to PlusNET - sometimes this fails
5. PlusNET apply the supplied profile to your line - sometimes this fails
So to see what state you are in the above, following the speed issues thread and posting the full router stats, full BTw speed test (further diagnostics) and current line speed (see link below) would be very helpful.
Kevin