cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL connection dropping every 2 minutes

Mardler
Rising Star

ADSL connection dropping every 2 minutes

Once again PN ADSL2+ is disconnecting every minute to three minutes.

What's going on?
16 REPLIES 16
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: ADSL connection dropping every 2 minutes

Hi @Mardler, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having connection issues as of recent. I've had a check of your connection from this side and can see the signal strength for the line looks slightly lower than we'd usually expect to see it so I've bumped this up for you which should hopefully stop nay performance issues and drops you've been seeing. If you could please turn the router off and back on after an hour and let us know if this looks to have helps. If not and there's another issue behind the drops, then I'd recommend running through some troubleshooting steps below to help narrow down the cause of the drops as we aren't detecting any underlying issues other than the potential one mentioned above.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how it goes. either way and we look forwards to hearing from you.

Mardler
Rising Star

Happening again since 17:00 tonight.

No need to do the above checks: all is fine. It's PN that is terminating the connection.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@Mardler I am sorry to hear about this.

I've checked the connection this side and it looks like the signal strength for your line is set too low which explains when your devices seem connected but nothing loads up or you just get buffing.

The good news is it's a fairly easy fix and I have placed an order to up your signal strength which should complete in the next hour. If you then turn the router off and then on again in a hour or later the connection should be back to normal for you. Let us know how it goes.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Mardler
Rising Star

First of all thank you for such a swift response.

I noticed that the line attenuation was a little higher at 16db and SNR had dropped to 2.1 even though the SNRM was only 5 on the, Billion, modem/router. I reset SNRM to 6, rebooted the Billion and it came back with SNRM at 3.1 which is still a bit low but is usually very stable however it soon went to 5.6, currently 5.9.

I am intrigued by your request for higher signal strength. The disconnects are sporadic, the one above (first post) was after 27 days connected at c.2 SNR. Attenuation was 15.5/16. I look forward to your further thoughts and will restart the Billion later or tomorrow.

Mardler
Rising Star

Update.

The connection remained stable until some time after midnight we had a power cut. On rebooting the router stats were unchanged except for output power which is is now 18.7 instead of 19.

Stats now:-

SNRM = 6

SNR = 5.7 (was 6.1 before power cut)

Attenuation = 16, usually 15.5 but increased several weeks ago 

Output power = 18.7, invariably 19.

Attainable rate = 20780-ish

Rate (sync) =  18907

Connection stable since post power cut reboot.

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @Mardler, thanks for the update. Glad to hear the connection has improved since the reboot. Everything looks fine on our side, we have the SNR at 6dB and the same sync speed as you mention on your own router stats. I thought I'd provide a graph of the line over the past few days if that helps paint a clearer picture. I'd monitor this over the next couple of days and note any drops and we'll investigate further if needed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks for another swift response.

I will keep an eye on the connection for a day or two then drop the target SNRM to five again.

Mardler
Rising Star

It's happening again!

We were out this afternoon but noticed a phone said no connection on our return. All seemed OK until 30 minutes ago when the disconnects started however the log shows that several happened earlier.

The target SNRM is 6. Once again the SNR is 3-ish which is always what happens when the dropouts occur. Normally the SNR is 6 when the target is set to 6.

Downstream output power has risen from 18.7 to 19.1.

Edit: target SNRM increased to 7 giving one more on the SNR which is still not right.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi there @Mardler I am sorry to hear this, I can see your SNR has dropped again. I've moved it back to 3db and placed a modify order to prevent this from happening again. - Noor

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Mardler
Rising Star

Hi tt,

I notice that there was a disconnect 5h 15m ago: this must have been your SNR reset.

SNR is now showing as 5.8 which is what I would expect having set target SNRM to 7 on the Billion.

Tomorrow I will reset SNRM to 6 and see what happens. If that is stable I will try 5 again.

Do you have any idea why this change happens and why the exchange output power dropped a tad?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @Mardler 

I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to find that out however we've changed the parameters that DLM work towards when changing the SNRM target which means that it shouldn't drop down to 3dB again.

Let us know if you have further issues though so we can investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks for that.

I will keep an eye on the situation and come back if necessary.

Now that I know what is happening next time I will tweak accordingly e.g. if I see and SNR of 2 when target is 5 I will set target at 9 (6+3) to get SNR of 5. IIRC, though, setting SNR to 5 this watngives a much lower sync than if DLAM is OK.

Thanks for your help.

Mardler
Rising Star

Happening AGAIN!!!

c'mon, PN, this isn't acceptable.

SNR target is 5.

SNR is back to 2.

Disconnecting every 2 minutes.

this message sent from tethered device to my phone's data!

Mardler
Rising Star

As described above, I reset target SNR to 9 and got SNR on sync at 6.1. I have dropped TSNRM to 8 to give sync SNR of 5.1.

Please advise if you're going to reset the exchange to 6.

please also advise why this is happening.

i may reset TSNRM to 7 to give SNR 4.1 and a a bit more speed.

Needless to say, I am not impressed.