cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL cable causes line to go dead

andrewusher

ADSL cable causes line to go dead

So openreach came out, activated line in our office.

Phone is fine, but as soon as we plug in the adsl cable the line goes dead, as does business next door.

Even if the adsl cable is not in the router same thing happens. We have tried 6 different filters, and 4 different routers ( 2 BT, one Netgear, One TP Link) and 3 different ADSL cables, all which work at our home.

Called Plus Net and are being told £140 for call out as our equipment. However a friend who works for openreach has said it's either the master socket or line, could be due to being split potentially from business next door.

At a loss, as a new customer very disappointed with support. Also, we haven't received the Plusnet router we paid for, and support more or less said they would do nothing until we receive that router and then when the ADSL does the same thing, then they will arrange an engineer, which could be couple of weeks. Very unimpressed.

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: ADSL cable causes line to go dead

You won't be charged £140 unless it's a problem with your equipment that the troubleshooting steps should rule out.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
andrewusher

The problem is when they test line they say it fine, when I plug in the adsl cable it's not, so support says equipment issue, .ie. router.

Having hard time explaining to them its not, as they even ran the line test when just the adsl cable was in the filter and not the router, hence again saying must be filter. So, we did the test with several filters, to which i was told all of them must be faulty, and 140 charge would be applicable for Engineer. Having a hard time explaining to them issue could be Master Socket. Being advised to wait until 'The Plus net router' arrives, however they have no idea of when it will arrive.

This is an industrial unit, which was split into two, it has a legacy junction box and I am sure this is a split line from the unit next door ( Open reach guy who came out stated this also ) . There is an alarm cable also, which friend of mine who is engineer reckons could be the problem. Explaining that could be the issue is like speaking to a brick wall. I appreciate no charge if not at my end, just very disappointed at the time to get an initial engineer out to sort line, the fact no router arrived ( Apparently it had not been ordered by plus net despite part of the order)  and completely unhelpful support.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If just plugging the cable in at one end kills it then its got to be a faulty cable. There must be a short circuit between two of the pins. Try a different cable, don't worry if the plugs are the wrong colour, just use a different one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

andrewusher

Sorted, mate who is open reach engineer came over. When the master socket was moved the engineer siliconed the access point crimping cable. So mate redid cable, and all is well.