cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL broadband speed problem

timband

ADSL broadband speed problem

Hi,  I started using Plusnet 2 weeks ago and apart from 2 days have been unable to get broadband speeds faster than 1mbps download.  According to B.T. I should be getting 7-10 mbps.  I checked with the speed checker and got - Download - 0.54, Upload - 0.91 and latency 0.00. 
One thing I have noticed is that with an ethernet connection to the plusnet router I couldn't get any internet at all, whilst I was getting 0.1-0.5 download mbps on wifi.  I tried switching everything off and using different ethernet cables and different ports on the router but still no joy.  I connected my old sky router and now I can get slow (0.5-1mbps download) internet through an ethernet cable.  As far as I can tell there are no reported faults on the line at the moment.
Can anyone offer a suggestion?
Cheers,
Tim
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: ADSL broadband speed problem

Can you try pausing whatever is uploading (backups to cloud etc) and try a speed test again?
The amount of usage over your connection is much higher than I'd expect to see for a speedtest result of 0.5-1Mb/s, for example yesterday between 8 and 9pm there was over 1GB transferred.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
timband

No there shouldn't have been anything being uploaded or downloaded last night around that time.  I've switched off all the computers in the house except mine and done a retest and I got .93 download, .95 upload and 136.25 latency.
Is there anyway I can see a measure of the data transfers live?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Keep an eye on the router stats data transferred counter.
Are you running Win10?  If yes, check the advanced update options and endure that share updates over the Internet is not switched on.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@timband
Something is uploading a lot on your connection, maxing this out for many periods.
However, we haven't had a connection from you since around 5pm yesterday so if you're online at the moment then it's not via the Plusnet connection.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.