cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Speed

dave47
Dabbler

ADSL Speed

I had a fault with my telephone, which also resulted in no broadband. This turned out to be an exchange fault and when this was rectified the broadband was also fixed. However the speed is now much slower but I waited over a week and it has not improved. Do I have to report this? Tests used to be just over 3Mbs which I felt was slow for the length of line but the latest is much worse. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1192734713346679600.html
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: ADSL Speed

Hi Dave,
Could I possibly ask you to run a BT Speedtest at http://www.speedtester.bt.com ?
That will allow us to see what your IP Profile is.  May also be worth reading the speed link in my signature Smiley
dave47
Dabbler

Sorry but I did try the BT speed test as you said but failed when it asked for my user name. I tried my email address and user name but both failed?
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

The required input is the same as is used to connect via your router/modem, in the format of username@realm. If you are connecting via PlusNet, then this may be johndoe@plusdsl.net
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Why do you always recommend the BT speedtester?
It is always difficult to connect to and often comes back with an error message or busy message.
What is wrong with the PN speedtester?  Alternatively there are good ones at www.thinkbroadband.com and www.dslzone.co.uk
zubel
Community Veteran

The BT speedtester is the only one that I know of that actually reports the BT 'IP Profile'
other speedtesters can tell you you're only downloading at 60kb/s, but they can't tell you your profile has been restricted to 135k.
B.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The BT speedtester shows IP profile (the data rate BT have set for the line at the exchange) and actual sync speeds in both directions. This is in addition to the actual speedtest. ALL other speed testers just show the tested upload and download data rate
Often the profile and sync rates are the clue to why the speeds have changed.
Also BT require them before faults will be accepted.
The reliability of the speedtester is a major issue though but it has been like that ever since BT replaced the old (and also inconsitantly available) speedtester with the current one.
moemoff
Grafter

I too had a disconnection problem that led to a reduced sync that ultimately reduced to a voice fault on the phone.  When this was fixed at the exchage the speed went back to about 6700 and below where as before  it was 6900 and sometimes over 7000.  That was ok because I could still work with it fine.
Unfortuanely the speed has now dropped in the last couple of days to 3800 and below - varying between 1800 and 2800 on the speed tester (BT and their own) no matter what time of day  .. be it 2 in the morning or  8 / 9 in the morning. I am being told it is contention and PN are not going to do anything about it depsite the being a business connection on Max Premium 20:1 contention.
My exchange isnt showing red .. and all the exchange checkers  say the same .. there are no special notes at all.

It's a real problem that hits the business but seemingly no one can do anything.
Gwydion
Dabbler

Sorry for hijacking this post - but I have a query along similar lines:
I have an 8Mb service (supposedly) that performs exactly like a 2Mb line. The line rate reported on the router is a very reasonable sounding 5695mbps.
http://dewin.net/bttest.jpg
is a picture I have submitted in a ticket, but was told "the line will settle down to a better speed" (not an exact quotation).
I think they've got it badly wrong. I believe the line is misconfigured. Am I right?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The BT speedtester shows you do have an up-to-8Mbps service but the IP Profile is currently set to 2000kbps.  How long has your service been connected?  The profile on new connections often starts off at that value but it should increase over the next few days if the sync rate justifies this.
Restarting the router once per day is recommended to nudge the BTw monitoring equipment to update your profile.
Note that the maximum IP profile achievable on an up-to-8Mbps line is 7150kbps (allowing for ATM protocol overheads) though the maximum achievable on a particular line depends on attenuation (which depends primarily on line length from the exchange and line condition).
David
James
Grafter

Morning all, hope everyone had a pleasant weekend.
Moemoff,
Your product isn't actually a 20:1 contention product as BT scrapped this since the implementation of IPStream Max and IPStream Max Premium.  IPStream Max Premium does offer a higher level of prioritisation, but is still affected by exchange contention.  Please note that VP Congestion does not equal exchange contention, nor vice versa.  If there are some heavy users at the exchange, they can highly contend the exchange without necessarily congest the Virtual Paths. (Hopefully I'm not talking out of my rear here, but that's my understanding).
If your speeds are fine outside main hours then we can raise this to BT, but their response is highly likely to be "This is likely to be caused by congestion on the internet" and we may not be able to supply any resolution as it is a restriction of the product.
pcoventry76
Grafter

my profile is stuck at 3000kbps at the moment - but im sure it will rise for the past 24 hours my little rubbish modem that i got from bulldog has happily sat at 5.8 down and im starting to see speed breaking the 400k/sec barrier so i know it's going up
Is your router/modem syncing as high as it can?
James
Grafter

Gwydion,
According to the information that we're receiving from BT, you are on a 5000Kbps profile, which is being mapped across our network.  Have you tried rebooting your router recently?  Because you are on your first 10 days on the IPStream Max product, this can be subject to change, however, looking at your line, those stats should suggest that you'll be able to hold a decent connection to the tune of 4-5Mbps.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Quote from: artmo

Why do you always recommend the BT speedtester?
It is always difficult to connect to and often comes back with an error message or busy message.
What is wrong with the PN speedtester?  Alternatively there are good ones at www.thinkbroadband.com and www.dslzone.co.uk

Works for me anytime i try it.
Gwydion
Dabbler

Many thanks Jameseh,
I'll hold on for a few days.
I've been rebooting a few times, and a test moments ago reconfirmed the 2000k IP Profile, even though my line rate has increased beyond 7k.
I'll keep watching Wink