cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Speed

Steevo
Grafter

ADSL Speed

I thought I'd start a new thread about this one as it's to do with a different line/property.
I've another property that recently has ADSL via another ISP (sorry!). It's only 50m or so from my existing property. The existing property is (thanks to this forum, and Anotherone in particular) now getting an excellent broadband sync speed of 3000-3300 from a line of 62.5-63.0db with SNR margins set at around 6db both up and down. I'm very pleased with this.
The second property has a 67db line, but sync speed is much lower at around 2000.
Router stats are:
STATUS 
Configured Current Line Status -- UP
Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 587 (Kbps) Downstream 2075 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 5.3 (dB) 7.9 (dB) Line Attenuation 41.5 (dB) 67.0 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 12.6 (dBm) 0.0 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 0 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 170 4129 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 2910 238
STATISTICS Received Data 254049 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 67952 (Kbits)

Can this be improved at all to anything like the speed of the other line? I'd welcome comments from all.
14 REPLIES 14
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: ADSL Speed

It looks like it's on fast path. I think the other had interleaving. Interleaving may allow a slightly higher speed, since essentially the modem takes the error correction ability of the FEC and interleaving into account when determining what speed it can get (technically that's known as coding gain).
You've probably got nothing much to lose by setting it to ADSL2 instead of ADSL2+.
Also, what modem/router is being used, and is the ISP BTWholesale based or LLU?
Steevo
Grafter

The other is indeed interleaved.
The 2.7mbps line on PN has a Thomson 582n.
The 1.7mbps line is EE with a Brightbox 1. It could be the LLU element that is affecting the speed then?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I think EE is not LLU, it'll be the same BTWholesale equipment at the exchange.
I'm not sure what hardware the Brightbox 1 is based on, but it might be the same as the 582n.
I would not have expected interleaving to make such a large difference. What kind of master socket is there? Are there any extension sockets? It could just be a worse line of course.
Steevo
Grafter

Oh ok, I did not realise that.
It's just a standard single socket master socket. Quite new, as is the line serving it and has the coloured, printed BT Openreach logo on it. No extension sockets at all.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

What time of day was the connection established? The downstream SNRM was 7.9 at about 2pm, which could be due to the brightbox being switched on, rebooting or re-connecting in the evening, so it would tend to connect at a lower speed, and then during daylight hours the SNRM would rise above the target SNRM, assumed to be 6. If that's what happened, then re-connecting it at a time of day well within daylight hours should get a little more speed, although then you'd need to see how well it holds the connection through the following night.
Steevo
Grafter

I think somewhere about 3:30-4pm so perhaps getting towards darker hours. I'll try and give it a reconnect around midday tomorrow and report back.
Steevo
Grafter

Just disconnected and reconnected - speed now running at 2131. Slight improvement, but still only 2/3rds speed of the other property.
Sounds like something I might have to live with....
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That 4db difference, especially at the length of line we're discussing, isn't going to be helpful for increasing the speeds. A lot of routers/equipment used to only report up to 63/63.5db attenuation too, so anything over this indicates the line is pretty long.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Steevo
Grafter

Thanks Chris.
I'd be interested to try another router there at some point to see if the attenuation changes at all.
Having played around with the Kitz max speed calculator, it estimates the 67db line to run at around 1400-1600 so the 2000-2100 seems reasonably good. It suggests the 62.5 line should do 1800-2000 so I guess maybe I'm just very fortunate to have a significantly higher than predicted speed here, rather than the slower line being "below average".
cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: Steevo
It's just a standard single socket master socket. Quite new, as is the line serving it and has the coloured, printed BT Openreach logo on it.

Maybe a picture of it? Inside next time you are disconnected-  If it is socket without a  built in filter you should use one with it and if it is one with a filter then you should not double filter.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Steevo.
Is this line running from the same DP as yours? If it's fairly new, was that a new drop-wire used when it was installed? It could be that the rest of the line - "D" side as well as "E"side is poorer quality compared to yours. On the otherhand, if it's a different DP the routing could be significantly different. IIRC when you first had trouble with your own line, didn't the routing end up being altered (might be remembering wrong)?
Steevo
Grafter

cedlor - I will post a picture when I get chance. I assume the forum accepts attachments again now?
Anotherone - thanks for your input. Yes, identical DP. The line to the second property follows the same route to the first property, but continues on past it for another 50m or so. My original line had a new cable from a junction box where the pole wire meets the property right round to a small junction box inside approx 5m before it reaches the master socket. (i.e. last 5m were not replaced).
I think something similar has been done with this second property as the master socket appears to have been moved in the past few years as is the line feeding it. I'm 99% sure this is all new, up to the bracket on the wall that comes from the pole.
The wires from the DP to the brackets on the walls of both properties are I think both similar age, around 10 years or so old and installed at the same time.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Not that new then Wink     Well try the random Quiet Line Tests and see if anything crops up.
Steevo
Grafter

Depends what you call new...it's the nice shiny black plastic coloured stuff, not the grey twin core.
Both houses have new wire attached to the property in the last couple of years, but the wire from the pole to the house bracket is as mentioned 10 or so years old.