Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL+ Speed? Up To 24MB?

Ripperoo
Dabbler

ADSL+ Speed? Up To 24MB?

Hey Guys.
Are 'ADSL2+' and '21CN WBC' the same thing?
Also, are the above 'Up To 24mb' services?
It's just that I've now been with Plusnet around 8 years, (joining in 2005) and as the years have gone by, I cannot remember my line speed increasing by any great amount over that time despite the introduction of newer technology (ADSL Max, ADSL2+ etc).
Checking the SamKnows website, I get the following:

• ADSL is available in your area

• Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services

• Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL2+ services

My local exchange shows the following:
ADSL: Since 18/02/2004.
ADSL Max: Since 31/03/2006.
21CN WBC: Enabled, providing speeds up to 24Mbps.
According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support:

• Up to 2Mbps via ADSL

• 4Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max

• 5.5Mbps or greater via ADSL2+

Locality: 1.78km from the exchange (Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!)
My connection speed has been stuck at aroung 5Mbps for as long as I can remember and I'm now wondering if there is something that needs to be done to enable the faster speeds.
My current router is a 'Billion BiPAC 7800n' and has been updated with the latest firmware (v1.06h) and according to the Billion website:
"The BiPAC 7800(N) series is compliant with worldwide ADSL standards, and supports download rates of up to 12/24Mbps using ADSL2/2+, 8Mbps using ADSL and an upload rate of up to 1Mbps"
I read somewhere about the migration from PTSN to '21CN WBC', but is this something that needs to be requested by the customer and done manually?
Any advice on what I can do to speed things up would be much appreciated.
Cheers!

11 REPLIES 11
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: ADSL+ Speed? Up To 24MB?

Yes, 21CN WBC (Wholesale Broadband Connect) is the same as "ADSL2+"
ADSL typically gave speeds of up to 2Mbps
ADSL Max is up to 8Mbps
Usually, the upgrades from ADSL Max to ADSL2+ are done on batch, however, you can manually request this via support ticket, if you're not already on ADSL2+
Cheers,
Matt
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes, they are the same thing. If your exchange was upgraded then your service will have been, or will shortly be, upgraded on a bulk upgrade order. Depending on the date of activation, this may not have been done yet.
You need to post your router line stats - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php should give you a starting point - paste the info in a reply and we can tell what you are on.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

They are not exactly the same thing. ADSL2+ is only available on 21CN WBC. But Plusnet may have put you on ADSL1 even though the equipment at the exchange is "21CN" and capable of ADSL2+. Plusnet tend to do that because they think ADSL1 is more stable on very long lines (those with speed estimates less than 4Mbps).
If you can give us the line stats from your router it should show if you are on ADSL1 or ADSL2+. In any case, ADSL2+ provides little to no benefit to longer lines, it might be slightly faster, or slightly slower, or less stable, or more stable.
Ripperoo
Dabbler

Hi Matt
Quote from: Mattz0r
ADSL Max is up to 8Mbps

So would it be safe to assume that the 5.5Mbps connection I currenty have (1.78km from the exchange ATCF) is likely from an ADSL Max (8Mbps) service?
Any easy way to discover if I'm already on ADSL2+?
Ripperoo
Dabbler

It would appear that I'm actually getting a bit quicker that what I said earlier.
Plusnet website states:
Estimated line speed: 5Mb
Current line speed: 6.3 Mb
Took a while to find the 'ADSL Status' page on the router, but the details are as follows:
DSP Firmware Version: A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status: No Defect
Operational Mode: ADSL2+
Upstream: 1045
Downstream: 7158
SNR Margin(Upstream): 5.5
SNR Margin(Downstream): 3.1
Line Attenuation(Upstream): 25.3
Line Attenuation(Downstream): 46.5
So can I expect a faster connection?
If so is it as Matt stated, just a case of manually requesting this via support ticket?
AndyH
Grafter

Your PN profile needs bumping a little bit to match your sync speed, but you won't get more than 7 meg with those noise figures.
AndyH
Grafter

I should also add...your line must be something like 3.5km to the exchange (or you have issues with internal wiring).
Have you looked at fibre and if it is available for your area?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Ripperoo
Operational Mode: ADSL2+
Upstream: 1045
Downstream: 7158

The Operational Mode and the upstream sync speed of 1045kbps show you are already on ADSL2+ with uncapped upstream.
The downstream sync speed is reasonable for the attenuation shown for your line. Also Current line speed in the Member Centre is correct for that sync speed.
Until fibre comes along I think the speeds you are getting are around the best achievable.
David
Ripperoo
Dabbler

Well, thanks for thew input guys.
Looks like I'll have to wait until fibre then (2014).
Can someone explaing the 'SNR Margiin' ?
Which is better?
Low numbers or high numbers?
What would be considered decent figures for the details below?
SNR Margin(Upstream): 5.5
SNR Margin(Downstream): 3.1
Line Attenuation(Upstream): 25.3
Line Attenuation(Downstream): 46.5

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

In the context of speed the lower the better and your appears to be set at the lowest permitted values (3dB downstream and 6dB upstream)
AndyH
Grafter

There are a couple of things you could check which might be creating a little excess noise on your line:
1) Are you plugged into the master socket or an extension? You could try connecting to the test socket to see what your router stats are like.
2) Do you have the ring wire connected (http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm)?