Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Predicted Speed 8Mbps getting 1.5Mbps

UncleZen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

ADSL Predicted Speed 8Mbps getting 1.5Mbps

What can be done if Plusnet predicted 8Mbps but the reality is that its actually 1.5Mbps. This is not for me but my Mum. Apparently PN will send her a new router that will give her 20Mbps all this for an extra £5.99/m for 18 months - whats going on? Can someone explain this to me?

10 REPLIES 10
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: ADSL Predicted Speed 8Mbps getting 1.5Mbps

Hi @UncleZen 

Thanks for reaching out today. 

It's hard to see exactly what is going on without access to your mothers account , if you are an autherised user could you please PM me her username and I'll run some diagnostic tests. 

I have a few questions for you initially however; 

Are the poor speeds being noticed over Wireless or Wired connections? 

Is there anything noticeably wrong with the phone line in the premise? 

How long have the issues been present for? 

Could you run through these troubleshooting steps with her and let us know how it helps? 

Thanks, 

Alisdair  

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@UncleZen wrote:

What can be done if Plusnet predicted 8Mbps but the reality is that its actually 1.5Mbps...... Apparently PN will send her a new router that will give her 20Mbps all this for an extra £5.99/m for 18 months - whats going on? Can someone explain this to me?

I reckon that I can explain what's happened. Rather than address the problem with the ADSL connection the Plusnet agent has tried to flog an update to fibre despite the fact that the fault might well still be present on the fibre service. What a terrible response!

I'm sure that you will get a more professional response on this forum.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

UncleZen
Rising Star

@MasterOfReality I have PM'd you here account name.

I'll have a chat with her and see whats been done so far. And I'll try and get the tests done as soon as poss.

FYI, this is a new account, she was formerly with BT using a fibre service, but when the monthly costs got to £60/m I told her to switch to PN and downgrade to ADSL as she pretty much only uses her internet for emails and solitaire! But just recently she's discovered the ITV hub, to watch corry she for got to record, thats when she discovered the poor internet speed.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @UncleZen 

Thanks for the PM. 

Your mum's circuit has estimates between 1.5 - 5.5Mbps only, you ca view these yourself by looking at DSL Checker

The Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed on the account is 1.5Mbps. 

If she WERE to upgrade to fibre, she could expect speeds of up to 41.3 (the max on DSL Checker estimates).

I hope this helps.

- MoR

UncleZen
Rising Star

OK, well that accounts for the 1.5Mbps she's getting, but, it doesnt account for why she was told 8Mbps - thanks

Can you tell by looking what she has been sent and what she's getting for the extra 5.99/m?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@UncleZen - I'm really sorry but I wouldn't be able to share that information with anybody other than the account holder or an Authorised User. 

I hope you can understand this is to protect the account information and comply with Data Protection regulations. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

UncleZen
Rising Star

Fair do's. I'll speak to her & find out.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

If this service is being provided on a rural exchange which does not gave ADSL2 then UPTO 8mbps is the PRODUCT the service is provided on. What speed it actually runs at depends on the line. It running at the bottom of the estimate suggests that there could be room for improvement.

Take a look at the links below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

UncleZen
Rising Star

She's been signed up to fibre by all accounts, which, she's ok with.

TBH I never realised her line speeds were so low, until now.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

It looks like their exchange is ADSL2+ enabled, but due to the length of the line the estimated speeds are between 1.5mbps and 5.5mbps. Based on your opening post that we'll send a new router which gets 20mbps it sounds like she's upgrading to fibre.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet