Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL New Connection - Sites Not Loading

FIXED
andrewgatenby
Fixes: 1

ADSL New Connection - Sites Not Loading

We moved house and took our Plusnet Router with us. We used to be on fibre and arranged a (painful!) house move to move onto ADSL at the new house, as there is no fibre currently available.  So Open Reach come and do their thing, we go through the rest of the process and then we get connected on the 19th January.

Thing is, regardless of the device that we use (laptops, phones, tablets, PS4, smart TV etc.) websites and services like Netflix just don't load.  We can get onto some sites no problem - so google.com, bing.com, youtube.com all load fine and are browsable.  However if I were to Google for "plus net" we get results as normal, but trying to click onto one of the results it times out.  In every browser, on every device.

It's not just this particular example - literally, most websites do not load.  Using Google Chrome, it might show in the status bar "Establishing Secure Connection" but it never gets past this.  We've tried clearing caches, DNS caches on devices even cookies and sessions in the browsers to make sure there's nothing else lingering from these devices interacting with the router when it was on fibre.

Using the BT Wholesale Speedtest site, it evaluates our Download Speed at 0.08mbps.  We should be around 2mbps.  Given the problems above, we can't use the www.speedtest.net site (or the App).  Loading either of these just times out.

I've found today thought, that if I use my laptop and connect to my works VPN connection (so using my Plusnet broadband to connect into work, to effectively browse using their internet connection which is Virgin) then I can access any site absolutely fine.  It's around 1.6mbps on speed testing, but it works.  However this isn't ideal given it's now just me being able to use the connection, with a simmering wife and kids still wanting to get on!

We've fully reset the router options via Factory Reset, and then added our account details back in.  We've tried tweaking the DNS Server (currently Google) to no avail.  Full details are below if anybody can spot anything (have removed Serial Number and Username for security). Plusnet have agreed to send out a new router to us, but I wanted to post on here and see if anybody else has seen similar issues in the past. Or if anybody might have suggestions as to what I can tweak in the Router.

So, erm, help anyone?!

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: XXXXXXXXXXXX 
3 - Firmware version: 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 1 days 04:45:02
7 - Data rate: 731/2299
8 - Maximum data rate: 612/2304
9 - Noise margin: 4.5/5.8
10 - Line attenuation: 39.2/61.5
12 - Data sent/received: 168.3M/917.5M
20 - Broadband username: XXXXXXXXXX@plusdsl.net
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: PLUSNET-GH9G68
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Disable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 300 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address: 44:e9:dd:aa:d3:6e
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.273.1

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
andrewgatenby

Re: ADSL New Connection - Sites Not Loading

I've been advised that a new router has been despatched today, but will be 3-5 working days before it arrives.

So if anyone has any suggestions of what could be tweaked on my side in the meantime, then it would be massively appreciated!

andrewgatenby

Re: ADSL New Connection - Sites Not Loading

Fix

Not sure what the actual problem was, but a new router arrived today (same model & firmware as the old one!) and plugged it in and everything is all good. Connection up is a mighty 2.15mbps.

Now if only the Plusnet sales guy who booked our house/line move would have sent me the new router 2 months ago as he'd promised! Roll_eyes