cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Nation Filter suitable for Fibre Broadband ?

TheZoids
Hooked

ADSL Nation Filter suitable for Fibre Broadband ?

I have just had Fibre Broadband installed and am not impressed with the speed so far - I'm getting 12mb with the BT speedtest, when I signed up a figure in excess of 50mb was suggested !  I know the system has to train etc but that figures way off.
When the engineer came he left my ADSL Nation faceplate filter in place on the master socket and just plugged the new fibre MODEM into that but now I'm wondering if that old filter is suitable for the new MODEM and that's why its seems to be so slow ?
Chris
6 REPLIES 6
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: ADSL Nation Filter suitable for Fibre Broadband ?

The ADSL Nation faceplate should be OK for VDSL2 (FTTC) as its function is to separate higher frequencies from the voice line, VDSL2 is no different in this respect to ADSL / ADSL2 / ADSL2+, having said that I thought the install was supposed to include a replacement faceplate (if only to ensure 100% compatibility and the possibility of faulty old filters), if PN pay BTO for the Fibre install are they getting everything that's paid for?  You can also use 'dangly' filters with FTTC, particularly if you ever need to connect direct to the test socket behind the faceplate(s).
What was your speed on ADSL?  It could just be that the system hasn't updated yet following your upgrade to Fibre (i.e. you might still be on your old ADSL profile on the Plusnet systems).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
thomasjc1
Grafter

i was the same i fitted a new faceplate about 6 months ago the bt chap just plugged straight into it
njay
Grafter

The filter does two jobs.
1) it ensures the high frequency signal is not present on a voice call.
2) It ensures that any interence caused by internal wiring either being faulty or picking up interference does not feed back to the connection to the xDSL modem.
In principle there is no reason why an ADSL filter is not suitable for VDSL2 but not all filters are created equally as my existing ADSL microfilters in my two sockets when used for VDSL does not get as high a sync rate as when when using the Openreach VDSL2 interstitial plate suggesting point 2) is more apparant. The plug in filters were fine with ADSL2+ as the sync rate was 4Mbs on a 2.5Mbs estimated line
That said
From reading, it would appear that the ADSL nation faceplates are pretty good for use with VSDL2. The genuine Openreach plate does have a few improvements (as I see other faeplate mfrs have now revised their designs too) so might be worth trying as they are commerically availabe to buy. Depends if you want to spend £15 buying one or try and get another engineer out to fit the genuine article?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The faceplate seems to be doing the job, you're currently connected to the exchange at 79996! That's translated into a 77400 profile on our side so give it 5 minutes and then log in to the router, hit disconnect and then connect back up.
[quote=w23] It could just be that the system hasn't updated yet following your upgrade to Fibre (i.e. you might still be on your old ADSL profile on the Plusnet systems).
BINGO!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TheZoids
Hooked

Hi All
Just ran the speed test and its now 73mb so there's obviously nothing wrong with the filter !!
Daughter is amazed how fast she can view and upload videos to youtube !
Chris
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Welcome to Fibre  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.