Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Modem/Router Suggestions Please

OshB5
Grafter

ADSL Modem/Router Suggestions Please

Hello everyone.
Iv finally come to a decision after getting stung on Flea bay by a good deal not being a good deal LOL.
Then It ended up costing me to send the unit back now.. I will learn. Embarrassed wont I.
Anyway I am looking for a
Modem router where the router is gigabit 
WjF is at least N speeds 'BUT' it must have good WiFi strength and coverage. (I think this is the most important part)
As for USB post might be nice but not essential.
Now the price here is the stinger I would like it to be less than £100 please
So these are the specs I am looking for. So If anyone has any suggest.or can recomend any that fit the bill I would be extremely grateful
Regards Osh
35 REPLIES 35
Rippong
Grafter

Re: ADSL Modem/Router Suggestions Please

I've got the Asus RT-N66U and it's been awesome.
I didn't get the one with VDSL modem, I've kept my openreach supplied one (and unlocked).
Wireless range - excellent
USB for (for download agent, sharing, printers, etc)
2.4 and 5GHz wireless at the same time (5 is my most frequent, it's great)
Looks cool (and is called the Dark Knight - what's not to like)
Has a VPN endpoint built in, so can access home stuff when away very quickly
Also has the option for DD-WRT firmware or Merlin, to name a few - makes the product far longer supported for features, etc.
OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: Rippong
I've got the Asus RT-N66U and it's been awesome.
I didn't get the one with VDSL modem, I've kept my openreach supplied one (and unlocked).
Also has the option for DD-WRT firmware or Merlin, to name a few - makes the product far longer supported for features, etc.

Hi
Thanks for the reply. Can I just ask. From what you said above you got the RT-N66U But you kept your openreach supplied one. ( I take it you mean the bit before the modem router when you have FTTC?) That said did you used to have a Home hub before you got the RT? If so that has answered one of the questions that I was going to ask LOL. That is I was going to be given a home hub if I was to fetch it LOL..
And It has also answered another question I wanted to ask. That being Is the modem you use on normal ADSL the same as used on a FTTC and is fitted after the other bit of kit BT fit?
Also iv just been reading about the other firmware that some routers can be loaded with. And seem to work better. There was one I was looking yesterday which was the Buffalo AirStation Nfiniti  which had problems from the reviews with wifi shutting off but once the new firmware was installed it worked great. But they said it was a pain. In that it loaded fine but the setting took some doing when it came to setting it all up from fresh?Huh
Regs Osh
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

The RT-N66U and most likely the Buffalo AirStation Nfiniti you researched are wifi routers without a built-in ADSL modem.
You would probably want to use an ADSL modem which can operate in 'bridge' mode with these routers.
As far as I am aware, the recent generations of BT home hub cannot be converted to operate in pure 'bridge' mode.  
The Thomson/Technicolor routers supplied by Plusnet (and other ISPs) can be converted to 'bridge' mode with a bit of persuasion. (The procedure for the Plusnet TG582n is documented in this forum).  Otherwise, I believe the TP-Link TD-8817 is probably the cheapest new modem router which also supports bridge mode.
If you later decide to upgrade to fibre, you can ditch the ADSL modem and connect your existing router direct to the OpenReach supplied VDSL modem.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: zZz
If you later decide to upgrade to fibre, you can ditch the ADSL modem and connect your existing router direct to the OpenReach supplied VDSL modem.

Many thanks Now I understand I think.. 
So the BT supplied Fibre bit/modem then connects to only a router?  Its only that Im sure a friend has got the BT bit which in turn feeds into a Home hub V4. Which from reading on the net you can be used on a normal line like plusnets unlimited ADSL? Is this right or where have I got my wires crossed? Thanks
Regards Osh
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Osh,
Presumably you already have a modem-router in use. If the modem element has the required performance, then you could just attach the WAN port of a (cable) router, such as the RT-N66U, to the modem-router and disable any unwanted wireless function. This can work  "out of the box", but it may be worthwhile setting the modem-router to use an atypical subnet (such as gateway address 192.168.55.2) - the RT-N66U should (according to the manual) detect it is connected to a dynamic IP port.
This layout (which I use) has advantages, including not having to set the modem-router to bridge mode, and disadvantages, including two firewalls to "pass through" for port forwarding and possibly affecting "PING" times.
The home hub and Plusnet supplied TG582n (and others) can be configured to work as a router only with the ADSL modem access disabled, usually by re-assigning one of the LAN ports as a WAN port.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
bill888
Champion

Quote from: OshB5
So the BT supplied Fibre bit/modem then connects to only a router?

Yes.
The OpenReach modem provided for fibre installations cannot normally be used on ADSL unless you 'unlock' it.  
OpenReach supply two models. The HG612 is easiest to unlock but I seem to recall no one has successfully got the HG612 working in ADSL bridge mode, but I could be wrong.  It works fine as an unlocked modem/router.
The Home Hub 4 is an ADSL modem router with N600 wireless and does work on Plusnet ADSL connection.  If you have been offered one for free and it does the job, you perhaps don't need to think about buying a new wireless router.
What ADSL router are you using at present?   Does it perhaps support bridge mode ?
PeeGee's suggestion of using your existing modem/router in front of say a RT-N66U will work, but as also pointed out by PeeGee, I'm not in favour of this solution because of possible double-NAT/firewall issues.
OshB5
Grafter

Hi
The reason Im getting a new one is both the two I have one a Thomson 780WL is over 8 years old and keeps dropping WiFi so I cannot log on Plus it is only a/b wifi so slow. The second again over 7 years old is a Linksys 354G v2 and also only a a/b wifi. but does hold a signal and keeps on plodding along.
And the reason for wanting a fast wifi is I am going to be using media players at the tvs in the house and served from a NAS with gigabit port. I know you can use the gigabit on a 10/100 network but that just defeats the object of the fast NAS And same goes for the WiFI
I have had another look at the Buffalo AirStation Nfiniti and it is a Modem as well . Its here..
http://www.ebuyer.com/270892-buffalo-airstation-nfiniti-highpower-gigabit-adsl-modem-router-wbmr-hp-...
and it can use the firmware thats been spoke about to make it even better?
Osh
bill888
Champion

It is unusual to find an ADSL modem router which supports DD-WRT.
Perhaps worth mentioning this is only a single band N300 (2.4GHz) modem router, unlike the N600 (2.4GHz & 5GHz) dual band BT Home Hub 4.  
If you live in a neighbourhood with very crowded 2.4GHz wifi, buffering could be a problem, so you may want to consider whether or not you need 5Ghz wifi.  However, not all wireless media players or smart TVs support dual band wifi.

fwiw, the WBMR-HP-G300H-EU is also sold by  Amazon UK.  You may find it easier to return it to them for refund if you  discover it is faulty within first few weeks of use, and it was purchased 'direct' from Amazon rather than one of their marketplace sellers.
OshB5
Grafter

Right Have checked that one out its the same as the other but just the router part?
However I would still Like a all in one unit Modem + Router (less wires and electricity) plus you can see mine so more than one unit would look unsightly.
Or is it that there is not a decent one on the market for the price I quoted?
As how the house is set out it needs to be together and in one location as I am no longer fit enough or mobile enough to start to run an more cables in the house. Many years ago I did all the house upstairs and out to the workshop and radio room  with cat5 sockets and used to have the modem upstairs But due to problems I have now with interference from other electronics I had to put it downstairs by the master sockets 
Regards Osh
bill888
Champion

The WBMR-HP-G300H-EU modem/router listed at Amazon UK is the same model number as the one you found at ebuyer.  I note it is also very low in Amazon's 'best sellers ranking'. ie. they don't sell many of them.
You mentioned interference from other equipment, and that you have CAT5 cabling to upstairs.  At least you would be able to install an additional wireless access point if you  discover wireless coverage upstairs is a poor.
OshB5
Grafter

IIm not sure which wat to go now LOL
OshB5
Grafter

Hi All
I got a new Asus one and it lasted all of 9 hours Its now on its road back for full refund.. Iv also learned a bit since then such as I dont need gigabit router as I can do it with switch instead as all my 4 items 2 PCs 1 NAS and 1 Media player all can go through the switch..So making the gigabit router not needed. Also I have been thinking that it might also be better to get a separate modem and router as I could put them in separate places which would suit my needs also..
Can anyone give their thoughts about going this way? And can you also suggest any stand alone modems and Routers. Because the Modem Routers I have been looking at and Buying (Duh LOL) seam to have the modem part which is inferior to the router.. Hence no good as a combined unit?
Regs Osh
P.S. Yes I have changed my original thinking from the all in one neat unit To ways of practicality I fear.. Shocked
leader
Grafter

Something different ?
Netgear GT or 2wire hg-b  ( two considered the best on adsl)----------cat5> simple 8 port switch* --------------cat5>Home Hub (2)b or (3)a  in bridge mode/
or something small like the Tp-link  MR3020 running gargoyle or openwrt.

*Gig switches are not really worth it unless all the network points are 1Gbps
pj2014
Grafter

Hi,
As posted above the netgear GT's and BT 2Wire are really good modem/routers (which I have used) but I have settled on a netgear dgn 3500. Can be had from certain auction sites for less than £30 and for about £45 with a years warranty. Excellent wifi coverage (full signal across 3 floors) N wifi speeds and built in Gigabit switch.  A certain Amod firmware allegedly adds more features/boosts wifi strength (not sure this is legal in the UK due to laws about something or the other!)  😉 has a USB port.
Certain versions of the 2Wire also allow the wifi signal to be boosted (again not legal)  The newer netgear dgnd3700 v2 is around £85, I have no personal experience with this router but it sat at the top of the netgear dgn range for the last year or two so cant be too bad.
I was looking to extract as much speed from my plusnet BB as possible and found that from plusnets own router(technicolour or something, its the current one they ship out), netgear GT (old white sky one), BT 2Wire and the Netgear DGN 3500 the netgear dgn 3500 gave me the most stable line, fastest sync and best wifi coverage.
good luck on your selection!