Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Max to 21CN?

zombies
Grafter
Fixes: 1

ADSL Max to 21CN?

My first question is - how reliable are the various Exchange checkers?
I ask because upon speaking to an Openreach Engineer, as they are upgrading the local exchange (SSSOF for those interested) to support Fibre, he insisted the exchange has ADSL2+ capabilities, yet every exchange checker I try says otherwise.
Which leads to my second question, if I'm currently on DSL MAX, would this get automatically upgraded if the Exchange does in fact support ADSL2 or is this something I'd have to request?
Hence - my confusion.
If my Exchange doesn't have ADSL2, then why would Openreach say it did?
If it does, why do the exchange checkers say it doesn't?
Does anyone have any light to shed on this?
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: ADSL Max to 21CN?

which exchange
zombies
Grafter

Stratton on-the Fosse, Somerset (Exchange Code: SSSOF)
Dick:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

perhaps he was referring to the LLU option although it is a bit unlimely
zombies
Grafter

It's possible I guess. But I'm assuming the exchange checkers are pretty up to date and useful?
dick:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Lots of speculation here, but I think BT have done the following sort of thing elsewhere ....
A more detailed investigation might show your physical exchange only has an ADSL Max service from BT (ie 21CN ADSL2+ isn't available). However at a logical level, LLU providers have their equipment in a nearby exchange (Midsomer Norton?), and they have paid for links from that exchange into yours which enable them to offer LLU services in your exchange. These will be ADSL2+. Price controls possibly made it uneconomic for BT to use the same technique to provide 21CN ADSL2+ from the nearby exchange.
However the economics of fibre services are different and my guess is that BT are linking your exchange to the nearby one to provide the fibre service. When enabled that will mean jumping straight from ADSL Max to FTTC.
David
zombies
Grafter

That explanation seems strangely accurate based on what I've found out from Exchange checkers and from what Openreach has said.
Ah well - will just have to be patient and wait for FTTC, should be quite a jump (3.5Mb to 35Mb+) when it happens.
I realise it's only speculation but any explanation of sorts will do, thanks Smiley