cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Max and CO2

aldabra
Dabbler

ADSL Max and CO2

It has always been an annoyance to me that, with DSL Max, (and I have no alternative nor am I ever likely to have) you are expected to leave your modem/router on, continuously.
I did a quick calculation of my electricity consumption over the last two years and came up with an average of 180 watts. Looking at my Netgear DG834 router PSU, it drains 100mA at the socket, i.e 24 watts.
Now, I have always switched off my router when not in use and suffer from the DSL Max algorithm thinking my line is unstable.
The alternative is to increase my electricity consumption by 13%.
I should be able to send a message to my router to tell it to log out my connection to Plusnet and then negotiate a graceful shutdown with the DSLAM so that the DSL Max algorithm does not penalise me with a reduced rate at the next sync.
Why did the designers of the DSL Max algorithm not include this functionality?
Or did they and I have been missing a trick all these years?
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: ADSL Max and CO2

They do
You need to go the Broadband Connection click on disconnect then leave it for a few minutes before switching off the router but to do it automatically you would need to write a telnet script
However, notwithstanding that, you still shouldn't do it frequently but doing it over night is perfectly reasonable
Just be aware that a restart after dark will give you a lower sync speed and hence IP profile which will persist as you are on 20CN
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

how much energy did you waste creating this post?
aldabra
Dabbler

Thanks! I will try that.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think your router must be faulty. I have an old DG834v1 which I've just plugged in to a meter and it is drawing 5.8 watt. I'd have expected the older models to draw more power than newer ones - which version is yours?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
aldabra
Dabbler

Its a fair cop! I just read the figure off the label. But the principle is the same.