cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Loss of Sync

jamman
Grafter

ADSL Loss of Sync

Since last wednesday we have been getting disconnected a lot. It generally is fine for a few hours then suddenly we get many errors per second causing the PPP to drop and then a resync will occur. After the resync the sync speed is usually as it was before. Then after a few minutes or somtimes a few hours it will happen again. It is getting really annoying. I have tried using different routers as well as using the BT test socket but it does not make a difference. Our setup is our Speedtouch DG585 is directly connected to the master socket which is a bt installed vdsl faceplate.
I am not sure what else I can do from my end but I would really like this fixed.
Edit: this is the faceplate I have https://community.bt.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/29497i901F9461E03770BA/image-size/medium?v=mpb...
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: ADSL Loss of Sync

Have you raised a fault at https://faults.plus.net
jamman
Grafter

I have raised a fault now Question #101689797
However the last time I used the faults service it took days to get a reply so thats why I tried here first.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

they would still prefer a fault to be raised - but asking here is also a very good idea
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - the connection looks to have got a lot better this morning, of course only time will tell if it's been resolved.
Have you noticed any problems with noise on your phone line?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Further to my last post, we've run a few tests and the "Copper Line Test" is failing. This is potentially something on your side causing the problem, but could also be a PSTN issue. Ideally, I'd like to run another test with everything unplugged.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
jamman
Grafter

Tony as I said in the ticket, I will be going out at 15:30 ish so I will unplug everything then. I will be out for about an hour and a half.
jamman
Grafter

Checking my connection uptime its now at 14 hours 20 minutes with ~9300 errors. This is the "best" its been since it all started. But nonetheless I will let you do your tests with it unplugged
Novagal
Grafter

Likewise here in Sussex...very rarely have line issues but the past week has been somewhat crazy with frequent LCP down. It is getting out of hand now with my router reporting 216 loss of synchronisations and happening every few minutes...frustrating to say the least.
Done the usual checks, filters etc......Will also raise a ticket....if I can stay on long enough!!
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I was out of the office so I didn't see your post I'm afraid. I can try again today if you can give me a suitable time.
@Novagal - I'll take a look at your account shortly.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

@Novagal
Your connection is very interesting. It might be best to raise a new thread on this if you haven't already. At first glance, I'm suspecting REIN. If you'd allow me to post your logs (again, probably in a new thread) I'll do so.
Based on no tests what so ever, just your connection logs alone, please note if your connection goes down when a street light in your house comes on. As I said, I've done no testing what-so-ever, but I'd be willing to bet that this was causing the problem.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Novagal
Grafter

Hello Tony,
Oops...Maybe I should not have gate crashed on this thread so my apologies. I will open up another thread and comment.
Thanks
jamman
Grafter

Some good news I hope.
So yesterday our BT landline went completly dead but the ADSL worked fine so we raised a fault to BT. An engineer came round this morning did some tests and confirmed that the fault lay between my house and the cab about 400m away. He left some instrument on our copper pairs at the master socket and went off to find out what the problem was. An hour and a half later he returned and said the problem was being caused by a surge protection unit underground that had started to deteriorate over many years. So what he did was make my line bypass this unit. He came back to my house and said everything should be working and indeed the phone was fixed. I then fired up my router and managed to sync at over 3700 with an SNR of 7! I was astonished at the difference. I have basically gained 0.5 - 1mb in sync and profile. The next few days will be very interesting to see how stable it will all be. Also didnt have any disconnects caused by my previous noise issues since very early yesterday morning i believe so fingers crossed.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'm glad it's sorted. Quite often the most basic of phone repairs will do a lot on broadband lines.
I'll close your ticket down, but let us know if you need anything further.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team