cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Filters

jackoab
Grafter

ADSL Filters

I'm looking for some advice as to what filters to buy after a bad experience with new filters being faulty, I spent all day yesterday trying to trace a problem with my connection which was continually dropping, I changed the filter which had no effect, changed the router again no change, by this time my IP Profile had dropped from 6000 to 3500 kbps and my SNR had risen from 6 to 12 db. This morning I borrowed another filter and bingo the problem was cured, unfortunatly my IP profile is still 3500 kbps, I realise this will eventually rise but what about the DNS, will this change automatically or will I have to raise a ticket?
Any advice will be be gratefully received, Jack.
48 REPLIES 48
James
Grafter

Re: ADSL Filters

Hi Jack,
You can get a filtered faceplate from ADSLNation, which are generally regarded as being very good.
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
jackoab
Grafter

Hi James, Thanks for your reply, I don't have a normal master socket, only an ordinary extention (2 1/2 ins. square) will a filtered faceplate fit this, also I believe that I could have a problem with BT if I change this, also how about getting my DNS lowered, Jack.
PS  My phone just rang and my connection dropped again!!!
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

No you can't touch that - but although untidy, you could mount an additional "master socket beside it and wire a standard plug to plug into the existing socket.
Probably the best long term solution is to get BT to install a master socket - but I believe that costs quite a lot - somewhere in the range of £70 to £120 ???. Maybe I'm out of date, ?.

You may also find this article helpful
http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/downloads/files/adsl-around-the-home.pdf
jackoab
Grafter

Hi Mal, Thanks for your reply, can't see the profit in paying BT to improve their interface so I think the answer is to just buy some filters from ADSLNation.
The setup here has been in place since I moved in 6 years ago and although antiquated has worked well in general, I had Broadband installed about 4 years ago and if I knew then what I know now would have asked BT to install a master socket but at the time I was just happy to get Broadband, again thanks for your help, Jack.
Mal08
Rising Star

BT Master sockets are quite old - I have one in a house new in 1992.
I'm not suggesting you do it for BT's benefit  Smiley
Just looks untidy with
But if you put an external "Master socket" you need the bottom half of the case as well.
even more info here
http://www.clarity.it/xcart/home.php?cat=262

-
jackoab
Grafter

Decided on a XTF Socket from ADSL Nation as suggested by James.
Didn't mean to sound facetious about paying BT to upgrade their own equipment, just my warped sense of humour, Jack.
Mal08
Rising Star

Hi Jack - it wasn't taken that way  Wink
good luck with solving your problem
jackoab
Grafter

This is beginning to drive me crazy, I'm now on my third filter, original and two new supplied by BT, is it possible that it's not the filters but some problem with the line? If I unplug the phone no problem but as soon as I reconnect the phone and I either make or receive a call my connection drops.
Any ideas gratefully accepted!!,  Jack.
James
Grafter

Jack,
Have you tried calling BT to raise a fault on your line?
jackoab
Grafter

Hi James,
                  No I was convinced it was the filter because if I plugged the phone in direct it works OK I'm not really knowledgeable about this it just seemed logical that it was the filter, do you suggest I ring BT?, Jack.
James
Grafter

Jack,
Earlier you said...
This morning I borrowed another filter and bingo the problem was cured

Is that no longer the case?
jackoab
Grafter

No, when I fitted the second filter everything seemed OK so I just left it, my phone is not used a great deal so it wasn't obvious that the problem still existed.  Then I noticed after an incoming call that the connection had dropped again so I tried calling from my mobile and the line dropped again, I've ordered some more filters which I should get in the morning, my intention is to try another one tomorrow. If you think there could be another reason could you please advise what I could try to sort the problem, Jack.
PS  I tried another phone with the same effect. I'm now using just the Broadband with the phone disconnected and it's working perfectly although at reduced speed, Jack.
chickendippers
Grafter

Just to make sure, have you got a microfilter fitted to every phone socket with a device attached (phone, fax machine, modem etc)?
jackoab
Grafter

I have only one phone and one computer, Jack.