cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Faceplate filter

gosforth
Grafter

ADSL Faceplate filter

I am  part of the 21CN trail. I had only my modem and a telephone connected to the master socket and was getting connections that synced at 13,000-14,000bps. I installed telephone sockets in every room in the house and when I connected them to the master socket my speed dropped down to less tham 6,000bps and this was without any phones or micro-filters plugged in. I have now solved the problem by buying an ADSL faceplate filter that fits onto the master socket (a bit like the I-plate). The unit provides two sockets, one for the phone and one for ADSL. The good bit is that it filters all the extensions and phones from the master socket; it gets rid of all the noise from the extension wires and you also don't need microfilters on any of the phones. My connection now syncs at 14,200bps, with all the extensions and phones connected. Excellent!  I bought the ADSL faceplate from Tamar - it cost £9.38 including postage and packing.
8 REPLIES 8
itsme
Grafter

Re: ADSL Faceplate filter

When you did the extensions did you connect to terminal 3, which is the ring wire? If you did removing this will have the same affect as the ADSL faceplate.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Removing the bell wire will have, in most cases, the same effect as fitting an I-plate, though the plate does have additional filtering on the signal wires.
The OP has fitted an ADSL faceplate - a far superior solution.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
gosforth
Grafter

The ADSL Faceplate includes filtering circuitry rather than just leaving the bell wire disconnected, which is basically what the I-plate does. Also, even if you disconnect the bell wire you still have to have microfilters on all your phones. The filter plate filters before the extension wires which gets rid of the noise and the need for a filter on each phone.
itsme
Grafter

Slightly disagree with the statement that the ADSL faceplate is far superior, even Tamar does not make that statemant.
This faceplate filter goes one step further then the I-Plate, not only does it filter out the ring wire, it also filters out the ADSL signal on your telephone extensions, which means no more additional ADSL filters!

All what these faceplates do is incorporate the external filter internally. It can be compared with fitting a plug in filter to a master socket and then running all the extensions from the telephone side of the filter. There will be some high noise filtering on the telephone side as this will be looking at the backend of a low pass filter but if the correct twisted pair cabling has been used this will be minimal. The main advantage will be the filtering of the ring wire.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: itsme
Slightly disagree with the statement that the ADSL faceplate is far superior,

OK, we'll agree to disagree.  Wink
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Bojangles
Grafter

Re: How to optimise my Netgear DG834G for ADSL2+

http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php Reviews of microfilters. Have to say I saw an increase back in the days of ADSL Max when I switched from a cheap tail microfilter to a a BT ADSL faceplate.
gosforth
Grafter

The faceplate actually has six connections on the back "A","B","2","3","4" and "5". The four numbered connections are for voice only connections that do no require an ADSL signal. However, you can also set up extensions that do have an ADSL signal by using terminals "A" and "B", which would allow to put your modem or router in a different room to the master socket. However, I would assume that if you do this you might get more noise and you would need a microfilter in the extension sockets that have the ADSL signal.
The faceplate works great for me.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

mod:note
Merged in post from netgear thread.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'