Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT error

batesi
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: ADSL ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT error

@Anonymous I must have run that test a dozen times but I will try again..
batesi
Grafter

@Anonymous I managed to rig my old windows phone on the dnz so that I could do a think broadband ping test. At around 10pm last night I removed the tp link router so the only access to internet is via the hub one 5g WiFi channel so the resulting overnight profile is a quiet line test. 

During the time the tp link was disconnected I did a couple of tests one at about 2230 and another about 0730 Sunday morning. Immediately with only one device (plus the win phone on dnz) I see high latency. In both tests I created the SSL errors in chrome, although it was much worse on Sunday at 730.

I'm a bit baffled as what the sudden step improvement is at 4am on Sunday.

Looks to me like congestion in the exchange or Plusnet @willcutforth if it can't even handle a single device during quiet hours!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@batesi wrote:

I'm a bit baffled as what the sudden step improvement is at 4am on Sunday.

b12aeca3dcfb4ed4f25c98777b982b7305d6738b-17-12-2023-1.png.

That step at 4am was probably the exchange ADSL DLM (Dynamic Line Management) deciding that there were too many errors on your line, and attempted to reduce that by increasing the interleaving depth and/or Reed Solomon coding which in effect increases the aggressiveness of the error correction applied to the line.

The benefit of that is that theoretically both ends of your landline 'should' be able to correct more corrupted packets automatically - which is likely to reduce the need for the receiving end to request the retransmission of lost data.

The downside is that your connection latency has now increased, which means even more lag and may worsen bufferbloat.

You can see that the DLM change DIDN'T make any difference to your continuous packet loss, shown in red along the top of the chart, so better error correction didn't improve the percentage of lost packets.

Another thing to note is that the red packet loss is at a continuous percentage throughout the night, so that probably indicates that exchange congestion isn't the problem.  Typically ADSL exchange peak traffic load occurs in the evening, and minimum traffic would be in the early hours, therefore if your packet loss was due to 'congestion' (i.e. exchange traffic overload) you would expect your packet loss to be worse before midnight, and be better until morning - but it isn't.

It was worth capturing that BQM plot, even if just as more evidence to show the Plusnet faults team, or Openreach REIN engineer.

batesi
Grafter

@Anonymous thanks for the analysis. 

About the level of errors - I'm wondering two things:

• What's the 'normal' error rate for my line? It's 1400m of copper to the exchange
  • What might have changed since end of November when this started happening.. you said Xmas lights well it's not us that has them on 24/7 but some people nearby do.. I would doubt an underground cable would be susceptible...
batesi
Grafter

@Anonymous at around 9pm last night something else happened and the dropped packets disappeared!

I tested and the SSL problem could no longer be recreated, and neither so far this morning..

Speed upload test also radically improved. It's the firs time I've seen burst to 0.7mbs in weeks!

I just wonder what's caused it and expect it's going to come back...