cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Checker says Fibre Available at Cabinet But Not On Telephone Number??

crispydoodle
Hooked

ADSL Checker says Fibre Available at Cabinet But Not On Telephone Number??

Hi All

When I signed up after moving to my current address I was told there was no room in the Cabinet for Fire Broadband and it was showing as "Waiting List" So I had no choice but to go for Standard BB. I was told however to keep checking the ADSL Checker every other day until it said "Available" then jump on it! When I went to do this I was still told It wasn't available? So looked into it further and If searched by postcode & Address, its available, if checked using the telephone number its not available!. I don't think I can cope with 0.75Mb much longer! Anyone have any ideas...

10 REPLIES 10
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: ADSL Checker says Fibre Available at Cabinet But Not On Telephone Number??

Good Afternoon, 

This could be one of a few issues, you could have an exchange only line, meaning you are not routed through a cabinet, therefore don't connect to the fibre equipment at all, or it could be a records issue with one of the results being incorrect, postcode and address check results can sometimes give weird results.

EDIT: I've managed to locate your details and unfortunately, it does look like you have an exchange only line, meaning the copper is direct to the exchange without going through a cab, whereas if you search for your address it is giving results based of off cab 18

crispydoodle
Hooked

Hi Paul. Thanks for you're response. We were told by the engineer who connected it all up that we actually had 2 lines coming into the property, could this be clarified somehow? Would both lines be direct to exchange? Taking into consideration what you've said regarding direct to exchange, does this mean that we have no chances of getting Fibre Broadband until its installed at the exchange?

Chris    

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We can only find the one line to your property, the other may be there but somewhere between home and exchange it has been disconnected and a portion of it used for another line somewhere usually.

In regards to equipment in the exchange, with the service in your area being FTTC, you must go through a cabinet to get it, as that's where the Fibre terminates, you may get routed througha cabinet if you had a new line installed but this isn't guaranteed as they may use the same routing as the existing line and this is not something we can specify to Openreach.

crispydoodle
Hooked

Thanks Paul. Is this something that could be looked into? Would we have to liaise with BT OR direct?

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We'd essentially just need to book the job in from our side, but it'd require a new account with us as our systems can only support one line per account.

Alternatively potentially set it up as a change of address and install a new line, but as mentioned, this could have the exact same routing method, all we specify to Openreach is the fact you want a new connection and your address, what they do following is their down choice. I've seen these go both ways, some have got a different routed line, some end up with the same problem.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@crispydoodle

You may want to find out if there is a BDUK (Broadband Delivery United Kingdom) project in your local authority area. This is a Government backed scheme to get Fast Broadband out to the whole country.

These bodies (based on English counties, Scotland,  Wales and NI) have the money to get Openreach to improve connectivity and your local body may have plans for your EO lines.

Google BDUK and your county name (or country if not in England) for details.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
crispydoodle
Hooked

Thanks for that guys! With ref to BDUK @SpendLessTime it looks like you sign into some sort of contract with that, is that something that works alongside with Plusnet. I've never heard of it so this is a completely new line of enquiry for me ..

Thanks

Chris

SpendLessTime
Hero

No, BDUK is a Government scheme to help companies like Openreach to implement fast broadband and get around market competition rules. You can see the official view here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/broadband-delivery-uk

You personally don't enter into any contract with anyone in regards to BDUK.

What happens is the local county authorities (or countries for Wales, Scotland, NI) work with a telecoms infrastructure provider (which 99 times out of 100 is Openreach) and lend them the money to put in place FTTC/FTTP connections in areas which BT haven't. Then when it is in place, you and I order through any ISP and the councils get their money back when the infrastructure has an agreed number of users. From that point on, Openreach own the equipment and makes profits from the services provided.

Every area has a plan of action, so you just need to find out what the plan is for your exchange only lines.

crispydoodle
Hooked

Hi Guys

Just an update really, BDUK wont help as they say there is Superfast Broadband up to 80Mbp already in the village, which there is...its just a shame that my telephone line doesn't terminate in it, instead goes 3 miles down the road to the exchange in the next town...

Any ideas on the next move?  

SpendLessTime
Hero

Complaints to your MP and local councillors. Copies to the local press.