cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Broadband experiencing frequent drop outs - please help!

mappy72
Dabbler

ADSL Broadband experiencing frequent drop outs - please help!

Hello staff,

As the post title really, we've been experiencing frequent temporary loss of broadband service / drop outs which is becoming increasingly frustrating of late. Strangely, when this happens, all the led's on the router remain green suggesting everything is fine.

When connected the speed / service is good and typically we can get 12.2 mbps download.

Please can you investigate and report back. Many thanks for your assistance.

11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: ADSL Broadband experiencing frequent drop outs - please help!

Hi there, 

I've just been running some diagnostic checks and we're not seeing any obvious problems. 

Assuming that you usually connect over WiFi would it be possible for you to try connecting over a cabled connection just to see if the connection continues to drop?

Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Additional possibility: if you use homeplug extenders they can also randomly drop the connection (well, mine do, usually for a minute or two on each occasion.)

mappy72
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Thanks for looking into this for us.

As you say its normally an ipad or iphone and a laptop connected over the wireless. Our smart tv and youview box however are also connected directly to the router via network cables. All devices are affected when it drops out (i.e. Netflix and Now TV will stop working on the hard wired connection to the tv).

I've also had the laptop on a network cable which also loses connection when this happens.

The router we're using is a Technicolor TG589vac v2 by the way, not the plusnet supplied item, as this has dual band radios (2.4 & 5ghz) which allows the Apple devices to use 5ghz whilst the laptop uses the 2.4ghz.

Sometimes the internet connection will come back after a few minutes on its own but other times a reboot of the router is necessary. As I said before its becoming very annoying. Any other ideas?

mappy72
Dabbler

Thanks for the input Jay but we don't use those.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

I have raised the SNR on your line, as it was set a little bit too low. This can cause intermittent service at times. Please can you restart your router, and let us know how it goes.

mappy72
Dabbler

Ok, many thanks Dean.

I'll restart the router as requested and see how the connection fares over the next few days with the SNR increase before reporting back.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No worries, keep us posted! Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mappy72
Dabbler

Hello again staff,

A further update, unfortunately we're still experiencing random disconnects. Each and every time this occurs a restart of the router (power off, wait 30 seconds, power back on) will resolve things back to normal service. Happens on wired and wireless devices. The led's always remain green however suggesting there's no loss of ADSL service into the router.

As mentioned above we're not using the Plusnet supplied router, could it be something in the settings perhaps? Possibly something to do with DNS?

The router has recently been factory reset to default settings and the Plusnet credentials to connect have been re-entered. 

Thanks!

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Do you have another router you can try?   If you have to power cycle the router to get service reinstated then that sounds like a problem with the router.  As an alternative if the function is available on the router, could you log into the router and disconnect the session, then reconnect?  Just thinking about the possibility that the session is hung up in some way, and is being restored not because the router was power cycled in itself, but because that forced a reset of the connection.  

You mention DNS, but not how you have that configured.  If it was a DNS problem then you would still be able to ping something on the Internet by IP address (for example 9.9.9.9).  Might be worth a check as well.  

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Morning @mappy72

Thanks for coming back to us with additional information.

We're not seeing any physical drops from our side so I'd echo @aesmith 's recommendation of another router if you have access to one (the original PN one if you still have it?).

Let us know how you get on

Best wishes,

Dave

mappy72
Dabbler

Thanks Dave (& also aesmith for your input).

It's helpful to know that you're not seeing any issues on your side so this does seem to suggest it could be the router we're using, odd though as it's not that old (less than 24 months).

The Plusnet supplied 'Hub Zero' we still have (it's never been out of it's box!) so I guess we'll have to try that, as basic as it is, and see if things improve.

Thanks again.