Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL BB Fault

dragona
Grafter

ADSL BB Fault

Hi all,
Currently have a fault logged with PN, & had an engineer attend premises once so far
Original Fault:
Small drop outs (between 1-10 seconds) connection remains connected.
Connection drops frequently 1-3 times a day
Clicking on line when ADSL attempts to connect (this is the only noise we get on line)
Additional issues after fault logged:
Session randomly terminates BUT remains connected to exchange.
Whats been done:
Changed modem
Changed Filters
Check WIFI etc
Replicate issues over wired connection
replicated on multiple devices(playstation, phone, laptops, NAS) most using wifi some using wired.
What plus net has done:
Recommended i try the above
Added interleaving
changed some settings which were set too low their side by resetting line
"Put on Super stable to increase SNR margin and increase ILQ."
Logged job with engineer
Engineer:
Tested line said capable of 10MB (i don't see this as possible)
Line is in perfect condition(apparently)
Mentioned that 1 wire was 3m longer than another.
no faults occurring on line only FEC errrors
Commented on length of time it took to sync was quite long
replaced original face plate with "MK2" face plate with built in splitter
Was told that everyone states wind and rain cause the issues, & didn't want to know.
Showed him a few seconds after reconnecting with router with thousands of FEC errors(in comparison to his "occasional" FEC error) only be told that the web browser i'm viewing the information in would effect it.
Asked him what exactly he was looking for on the line and he said CRC errors because HEC doesn't cause any problems and should be ignored?
After visit:
High winds and rain start shortly after he leaves. (had been dry all morning cloud with some blue patches) but as i had previously told this was definitely not the problem
Connection dropped shortly after engineer left on the second disconnect i lifted up the handset & did quite line test but could hear really loud clicks when the modem tried to reconnect and it refused to reconnect until phone line was no longer in use.
CRC and HEC errors persist
download rate originally returned to approx 8300 but just a few days later I'm already down to 3070 and still receiving errors on the line
Late night issues occured causing problems with connectivity, logged into router and saw thousands of errors logging per few seconds.
Line eventually dropped after a minute or so then returned to almost no errors.
monitoring tonight:
1 and a half hours into connection 24100 CRC errors & 5994 HEC errors  /// 30 minutes later 52408 CRC errors & 14293 HEC errors.
shortly after this at 00:57 session dropped but remained connected to the exchange. (the reason im saying it remains connected is the line stats remain the same, identical sync speed, connection timer doesn't reset etc)
since 00:57 today until 01:40:  2 CRC errors 1 HEC error
I should note that while ADSL is connected phone line seems to receive phone calls and make calls quite clearly with no noticeable disconnection but we don't really use the land line much anyway.
I cant understand what would cause the errors to rack up so well and then simply stop by session being dropped/reconnected?
Is there anything else i can do or i am missing?
I'm still waiting for a response from PN which I'm sure will be updated sometime later today.
Just before posting this:
Router disconnected again still connected to exchange just no active session (02:07 and not reconnecting) error received is: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
This is the first time ive seen this error which constantly cycled through my log,i waited 25 mins to see if it would reconnect before having to pull the plug, got over 45,000 CRC errors just trying to get a new session which was obtained immediately upon forcefully re syncing which i wanted to avoid.
CRC errors only started on this occasion after session dropped.

Bit long winded but got there in the end!
-D
5 REPLIES 5
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: ADSL BB Fault

Thank you for providing such a detailed breakdown of the fault you've got raised with us.
I can see that you've updated the Faults Team with further information and they will be in touch as soon as they can. I think it's very obvious and apparent that the issue is still there and we'll do all we can to get the issue resolved for you.
dragona
Grafter

Utter carp after 2nd visit REIN is identified by slapping my router within millimeters of the TV (typically sits a good 4-5 ft away) I've explained that the issue occurs outside of the hours TV is on where the TV has been off for 12 hours or more, i've complied with requests to try it in different places to no avail I've moved it up to the next floor along an 11m extension and still had issues. the response i get is:
"The broadband fault has been closed by the supplier. Should problems re-occur, please restart the Broadband Fault Checker."
Despite responding 2 days ago stating issues were still being had, and sync speed was still in decline moving from 7MB profile down to 3MB and still reducing.
I fail to see why i should go back through the fault checker when my ticket should still be open, I had already identified noisy electrical items in my house and tried to move away before opening the original ticket.
I fail to understand why my ticket was closed.
-Unhappy Customer.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry for the misleading information.
your Fault Ticket itself hasn't been closed, that notification is put on your ticket when the fault logged internally with our suppliers is closed. We can quite easily raise another case with them - that's not an issue.
We'd never close a ticket you've raised with us unless you are happy with the outcome or no further help/advice can be given. Our Faults Team will still be looking into this case for you and will provide a further update as soon as they can.
dragona
Grafter

Thats good to hear , I was really disappointed upon seeing that response yesterday.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yeah, it's an automated message, it's meant for internal purposes really.
One of the guys from the Faults Team will be in touch shortly.