Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL / ADSL Max / ADSL2+ / ADSL2+ Annex-M

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

ADSL / ADSL Max / ADSL2+ / ADSL2+ Annex-M

I'm in the process of looking at moving house - just found one we like and the ADSL checker reports:
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 5.5Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 6.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 3Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 6.5Mbps.
Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 33.5Mbps and upstream line speed of 8.2Mbps.

So I think that means that ADSL2+ Annex-M (whatever that is) gives me the fastest speed until FTTC comes along - but that whole last paragraph is confusing.
9 REPLIES 9
itsme
Grafter

Re: ADSL / ADSL Max / ADSL2+ / ADSL2+ Annex-M

The annex M figures don't look right as this standard increase the upstream speed at the cost of reducing downstream speed.
SteveA
Pro

I'm currently on Annex A with a 440 upload and down of 4600 and I have no idea what Annex M is or how it varies from Annex A.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Annex M basically uses a few more frequencies (closer to the DL frequencies IIRC) which mean it may reduce your downstream speed to increase the US speed.
This explains it better than I can Smiley
From the last paragraph - it sounds like there is already fibre available, If you've searched via Postcode- it could be that postcode is served by multiple cabs (one enabled and one not?)
Regards
SteveA
Pro

That was from a phone number search and as far as I know none of Cheltenham has FTTC yet and I didn't actually think it was getting it until some time next year anyway
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Annex M. Simply ignore it, it's not for you.  Lips_are_sealed
It's a (usually extra-cost) option to provide additional UPSTREAM speed (up to 2.5mbps in ideal circumstances), with a (usually LARGER) sacrifice in downstream speed.
It's only relevant on shorter lines, which this one clearly is not.  Wink
SteveA
Pro

Thanks for that - its odd because I've not seen Annex M reported on any other check I've done. Cheltentham's ADSL is pretty lousy with whole sections of the town not able to get over 500K.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Plusnet offer Annex M only on business products, and the sacrifice of downstream speed would likely make it a non-starter for residential customers. For long lines the frequencies reallocated to upstream are the better-performing downstream ones.
I noticed the fibre availability date is an end of quarter one. Those are usually place-holders that mean "soon" but not necessarily by the date quoted. In December the date is likely to move to 31st March 2012, but if "really soon" a specific date might by given.
For that distance from the exchange you might find that ADSL1 (on 21CN) gives you the best speed, or at least the most reliable service.
David
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Quote from: Matt_2k34
From the last paragraph - it sounds like there is already fibre available, If you've searched via Postcode- it could be that postcode is served by multiple cabs (one enabled and one not?)

If the fibre info has a date then you don't have fibre, plain and simple. Even more so if the date is the last day of a month or the last day of the year meaning BT don't have a clue when it will be available (they are holding dates).
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: spraxyt
Plusnet offer Annex M only on business products, and the sacrifice of downstream speed would likely make it a non-starter for residential customers.

The only other supplier offering Annex M that I'm familiar with is BeThere and it's only available on their "top" (Pro) package as a no-charge option.
That is a domestic package but specifically allows business use, though at £27 per month is not in the main price-sensitive consumer market.
It's quite widely used but only by those on shorter lines who already have at least 15mbps, typically 20mbps or more, download speed.