Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL 2+ upgrade and home move

RyanGould
Grafter

ADSL 2+ upgrade and home move

Thank you for completing our house move swiftly  Smiley
We are happy with speeds we are getting despite still being on line training, however I just accidentally pulled out the plug on the router  Embarrassed
it has dropped our profile download speed down from 17000 to 15000, does our profile need updating or will it doing on its own?
Could someone look into this for me please?
30 REPLIES 30
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: ADSL 2+ upgrade and home move

It should only drop the profile if the sync speed is reduced.
Has that come back up again on the BT speedtest
RyanGould
Grafter

It's dropped the sync speed, the one in the router settings.
The connection speed also dropped on speed test too
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Unless the router is resynched with the exchange nothing will change.
However I would do it until mid morning if you really want to.
However as you are in the 10 day training period it might be worth leaving it
RyanGould
Grafter

I'll leave it for now, I will report back on Monday once the training period is complete
RyanGould
Grafter

My download has gone really slow. Earlier today I was getting around 15 Mbs download, I have had another look tonight and my download has dropped to 0.6 Mbs. Seems random as hell at the moment for some reason. I was expecting fluctuation but not by that amount.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

What do you mean by download - for the posts to have any meaning in terms of line stability you need to start providing the router sync speeds
RyanGould
Grafter

Download = download speed in Mbs I am getting.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

But you don't say what you are trying to download, which tester you are using, etc.
So the post doesn't gave any information which would help diagnosis.
If you just want to vent off without asking for help then fine - I will just ignore your posts in future
RyanGould
Grafter

Vent off ?
Anyway, sorry I am using Speed test.net. I will post some images of the speed tests when I get chance today. This morning the speeds have risen back to what they were yesterday.
It's weird tbh, it seems our connection is going from around 14 Mbs and then dropping to 0.6 Mbs, staying like that for a while then rising to around 14 Mbs again. It's still in tarainng mode obviously but that's a massive rise / fall.
RyanGould
Grafter

I have just done another test;

That's a lot lower than the speeds I was getting before I accidentally pulled out the router yesterday moving things about  Sad
I have just checked and my profile is still at 15999 Kbs when before I interfered with the router it was at 17000 Kbs and rising. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

if the sync speeds aren't changing then that has nothing to do with training mode.
Are you doing the tests via a wired or wireless connection
Try using the TBB Tester as well http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html?utm_source=mainsite&utm_medium=navigation&utm_campaign=... and when you get the horribly low speeds do the BT speedtest
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi RyanGould,
I've just checked your line and I can see that the sync is currently 15991, so it seems the speed you're getting is about right for that. I'm not sure why you're seeing these fluctuations but it would be advisable to see how it goes after the 10 days. How is your connection set up. Are you using any extension cables/sockets? Do you have a test socket you can plug into?
Jojo Smiley
RyanGould
Grafter

Hi,
The sync speed before I accidentally pulled the router out was 17000 which Is what asking about, it dropped to 15991 since. I am also plugged straight into the test socket and the cat 5 cable is coming out of the router and into the laptop.
Jim; the speed tester you posted doesn't work, I have the latest version of java installed and I installed the plug ins but it still won't work.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi RyanGould,
I've just checked the line and there are some errors, so I can only say to see what happens after the 10 days is up. Lines can often sync higher but as they can't hold stable at that rate they will settle lower. I have had 20000K+ sync on my line but it settled to just over 17000, so it's not something I would be concerned about, that's how broadband is meant to work. The DLM will always favours stability over speed, so there'd be no point in me having a 20000K sync if the line was dropping every 5 minutes.
Jojo Smiley