cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL 2+ IP Profile Stuck.

kenneth50
Grafter

ADSL 2+ IP Profile Stuck.

Hi all it would seem that not all power outages are evil. Now we have got a sync of 7mb down but it would seem that the IP profile on Plusnet has got stuck.
BT IP Profile reports 6.2mb but Plusnet reports 5.9.
Current Router stats from the Billion 7800N
SP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2
Upstream 872
Downstream 7063
SNR Margin(Upstream) 4.7
SNR Margin(Downstream) 3.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 27.4
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 43.5
Fastpath is on.
BTWholesale's TAP1 shows :  IP Profile for your line is - 6.23 Mbps
Plusnet shows: Current line speed 5.9 Mb
We also have a Whitebox from samknows which is also showing the following on DS and some packetloss (not sure if this is why the IP profile has got stuck!)
Connection has been active for over 12 hours at the routers current stats.
51 REPLIES 51
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: ADSL 2+ IP Profile Stuck.

Hi kenneth50,
The profile doesn't appear to be stuck.  It went up in the early hours of this morning to 6.2Mbit. You'll of course need to disconnect and re-connect to see the new speeds.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

haven't you fixed that problem of automatic PPP drop yet
kenneth50
Grafter

Thanks Tony.
On the Whitebox Monthly card it would seem there was a Max of a 15.0% packetloss.
Also seems there was a low through output as well. I have attached the report card images on here to look at.
I have also started to notice Packetloss during Online gameplay as well which is not good either, sometimes wrecking my good kill runs. Is there anything that can be looked into to solve this.

Edit: Also gaming online regardless of server being used i normally use only UK servers i see Latency of over 1800ms with pings going over 219ms. Doesn't matter which game either.

Edit2: Just checked on Samknows again and for today its showing a 10.69% packet loss.
Please can you look into why this is happening. I will save the image from my phone and upload in a bit.
Nothing is running in the background network wise, doesn't matter if i am Wired or Wireless same issue. Something is just not right. I have a video recording which i will upload to youtube tonight in hope that this will help showing the issue.

Edit 3: Also attached a snap of where the Latency was high it might be a bit blurry as it was taken with a 5 megapixel camera but it reads for Latency section
Latency =118.29 avg|min|max: 446.39| 67.62| 1883.59
Loss <= 3.33 avg|min|max 0.08| 0.00| 3.33
Also look at PacketQ which is what it means how many packets are queued to be processed should be max 2 but due to packet loss thats as high as 32.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,
@Kenneth, I'm sorry you are still having problems. I've checked your account and cannot see any reason why this should happen. Could you please raise a ticket on your account and I'll see if we need BT involvement here, or if there is any further advice that we can provide.
@Jim, I'm trying to find details about the problem.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
kenneth50
Grafter

Ticket now opened as per your request #94152141

Edit: It would now seem that the speed has now collapsed as well so i am starting to think its congestion on the network. Just done a BT Speedtest please find attached result.
Started to notice a lot more packet loss then i tried to watch youtube which was a buffer nightmare even on a 4.3" screen at 360p. Even browsing is taking forever as well.
Will update the ticket as well.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi and thanks for the extra info,
Contention doesn't look to be an issue at your exchange. I am hoping that our faults team can support this further though and discuss with our supplier to get it all sorted for you.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
kenneth50
Grafter

Thanks Tony, Its starting to look like my days of online gaming are over other wise. Which would then mean letting the contract reach the end and then leaving.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,
I am convinced that we will be able to fix the problem for you. Your ticket has been passed over to faults and they will consult this thread here before proceeding.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
kenneth50
Grafter

There has been no update since thursday.
I had a very bad weekend with packetloss , couldn't play online without getting booted off so it doesn't look like its going to be an easy fix.
Didn't matter which game i played and even Teamspeak was a robot static mess.
Download speeds was all over the shot as well, youtube was just well buffertube.
So please can you chase this matter thanks.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi Kenneth,
Thanks for the clarification. It seems that someone has attempted to update the ticket but not put any meaningful data on it. I will ensure this is chased straight away with the faults team.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
kenneth50
Grafter

Hi tony which end was the update on ticket you was talking about? if its my end then it was to show that the issue was still there.
Also the phoneline just went dead along with the internet and its only just comeback on, i take this to be a line test?
The fact that packetloss is still present and i should be able to later get the Samknows graphs again to show, Latency overall is back where it should be but still spikes due to the packetloss.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I meant our agent. What he'd actually done was moved the ticket from the support centre into the faults pool for action. I've spoken to one of the faults managers and someone is looking at the fault now. Like me, he didn't find a fault so we're looking toward wireshark captures. He will advise on the ticket in a few moments.
The line test was being performed which would have caused your drop, we're sorry that we have to do this but it's a necessity so that we get full results.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
kenneth50
Grafter

Ok it would seem that there is still packet loss. Wireshark is not reporting any but the Whitebox is, Whilst gaming felt better i just came off now after a lagfest with packetloss both on up and down routes but yet again wireshark is not showing anything. I have followed what was in the tutorial as well.

So i am guessing that without the wireshark caps showing packetloss (where there is packetloss) that the case will be closed. I'l be glad when the contract runs out as i shell not staying thats for sure.
Everytime there is a issue with the broadband all the tests show everything is hokydoky when its not. I am really not happy at all.
So unsure what to do now.
The only other thing is after checking the firewall logs which is showing [TCP SYN Flooding] TCP packet from [ppp_0_0_38_1] and [SPI:Illegal connection state attack] ICMP packer from [ppp_0_0_38_1] would this explain what seems to be packetloss as i have a ton of them.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The wireshark will allow us to check that there are no issues with the traffic management causing the problems you've been seeing and can also be useful at identifying packet loss.
Another simple test on top of this is to perform an ongoing ping to a specific IP or domain, to do this open a command prompt and type 'ping -t bbc.co.uk' - this will continue pinging the domain until you press CTRL-C to stop it. It should be easy to see any dropped packets on there.
The only other thing is after checking the firewall logs which is showing [TCP SYN Flooding] TCP packet from [ppp_0_0_38_1] and [SPI:Illegal connection state attack] ICMP packer from [ppp_0_0_38_1] would this explain what seems to be packetloss as i have a ton of them.

Do the timestamps coincide with the issues you're seeing? If so then it might be something worth looking in to.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.