Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question for my son

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

A question for my son

Another Plusnetter! His modem has been showing a connection speed c. 7600, the highest he has ever seen, but has been unable to connect all day. error 721. I have had no problem, but live in Hampshire, he in Maidstone Kent (01622). Has there been a problem in that area?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: A question for my son

According the status information for that exchange there was a partial loss of service today, but only between 5:07pm and 6:02pm.
I suggest turning off the router for 30-40 minutes, then try to connect again. The extended break causes a reset at the exchange which might help.
David
Luzern
Hero

@ spraxyt
My impoverished son still has a modem (Zoom!). Woukd your switch off recommendation be applicable still?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, definitely. If you don't want to wait you could try logging in with the two test usernames and then back to your son's login - this will also reset the exchange kit.
First: bt_test@startup.domain with a password of 'test'
Second - bt_test_user@plusdsl.net (the realm - the bit after the @ sign - should be the same as your son's existing login realm)
password 'test'
Once you have recorded successful connections with both of these logins (you won't be able to see any web pages but if your modem reports a connection you have been successful) you should log back in with your son's existing username and password.
Please let us know if that doesn't help,
[Moderator's note by Peter (PJ): In order to avoid any further confusion from other users I have made the usernames display as standard text, not clickable links]
Luzern
Hero

@ orbrey. Can you clarify the location the two tests are to be done from? In view my son's difficulties I have presumed mine. About both tests, when I click on them my email starts up. Is that right as I do not see how you get to input a password. With second if my user name were qqq@xxx.plus..com what would I need input in full?
Sorry I am so obtuse.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You need to do this from your son's connection as that is the one with the fault.
Also it's the actual login for the DSL connection, not the email address. It depends if your son has a router or a modem - if he has a modem, there will be an icon he has to click on to start the connection and start being able to access the internet. It is the username and password for this that needs to be changed.
If he uses a router you will need to log on to the router's admin page in order to change the username - have a look at my post 'my broadband doesn't work' (there's a link in my signature, at the bottom of this post) and go to the 'Authentication' section, that should give you a bit more information.
Hope that helps,
Luzern
Hero

I'm somewhat puzzled.
How, if you cannot connect, can you send the emails?
paulby
Grafter

Because you're not sending any e-mails!
bt_test@startup.domain
bt_test_user@plusdsl.net
are USER NAMES to enter into the router or modem in place of the user name that your son currently connects to PlusNet with.
He then needs to re-enter his PlusNet user name, in the form <username>@plusdsl.net, and password. 
Doing the above should reset things as orbrey has said.
Edit:  stopped user names being clickable.
Simon_M
Grafter

Lucerne
I see where the confusion is - orbrey doesn't want you to click on those user names. The trouble is, a user name is in the same format as an email address, in that it's <someone>@<somewhere>.<something>. So if you click on a user name in a forum post, your browser thinks you want to send an email to that person & helpfully opens up a new email message window for you.
As Paul03 says, what orbrey wants you to do is to give your son a ring & read out those test user names to him, so he can enter them into his connection settings.
My guess is that it's easier for him just to turn everything off for 30mins & then try again. If that doesn't work, get him to ring Plusnet support directly.
Customer Support: 0114 296 5198 |  0845 140 0200 | Broadband Faults Helpline: 0114 296 5188 |  0845 140 0080

Luzern
Hero

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed for my stupidity. thanks all .... will let you know what happens when I've spoken to him