cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new and exciting DSL disconnection problem!

themaidenmaniac

A new and exciting DSL disconnection problem!

...well not really but love to get your thoughts Smiley

DSL will stay up sometimes for a day but then go dead for 12 hours or so. A line test brings it back to life which everybody seems to think is rather strange in itself. 

I've replaced the full chain in the house, microfilter, adsl cable, modem, router etc. Happened back in December too, and BT replaced the actual master socket as well. 

Support are completely baffled so will send the BT engineer back again tomorrow but most likely the line will be up, he'll test it and say there is nothing wrong again and the vicious cycle shall continue....

Interestingly, problems only began when my new next-door neighbour moved in about December last year and they changed the house to run on BT instead of Virgin fibre which was installed previously. (Could be a red herring but suspected some weird exchange jiggery pokery!). 

I've read line tests can sometimes bring wet joints back to life, but the problems that have most recently began were during a period of fine weather oddly enough.

Any of you guys experienced anything like this at all, or would have domain knowledge on the most likely point of failure here?

Cheers! kev

5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: A new and exciting DSL disconnection problem!

Hiya Kev!

That is an unusual sounding fault, I have come across something similar once or twice before and it sounds like it might be relating a high resistance cable fault that our tests aren't picking up on for some reason. Hopefully the engineer can shed some light on that for us so I'll make sure we follow things up with you as soon as we can after the visit takes place.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
themaidenmaniac

Ah interesting to know! Thanks Adam. Will keep my fingers crossed tomorrow 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes a high resistance fault can be cleared by phoning the landline number (perhaps from a mobile), because to make the telephone "ring" a high voltage is sent down the line, which can have the side effect of breaking down mild corrosion on joints the line, and thereby improving conductivity for a while - hence giving the high frequency DSL broadband signals a better chance of completing the circuit.

themaidenmaniac

Wow that's interesting!! Never thought of that. Can't harm, I don't think the landline has ever been called in all the time I've been here. Thanks for the input Nibiru
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's probably worth NOT doing that BEFORE the engineer arrives tomorrow - in case it temporarily cures the problem.

However, if in the future it happens again, then give it a try.  If it works for you, then it is a quick fix that lasts for months.

For years my ADSL connection had an unresolved intermittent high resistance fault, that caused low speeds (but not disconnections) when my phone line had been unused for a long time such as when I'd been away for a two week summer holiday.  The solution was to call the landline from a mobile, and full sync speeds immediately returned.