Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A long way from the exchange ... :-(

googlebox

A long way from the exchange ... :-(

Hi guys,
We are new to Plusnet.  
Like some others here, we are in the position of being a long way from the exchange, and no sign of ISP's being able offering Fibre to us, so we are having to accept whatever speed we can get.
For a large family this is problematic!     Grin
I think our speed is around 3.5Mb/s during the day, but at night (particularly recently) it seems to really drop off.  It 'feels' like we are momentarily cut off and then the speed starts building again.
We have been using the Plusnet basic router, but changed a few weeks ago to a Vigor router.  This seems to make no difference to the broadband connection.
I would like to find out if our ADSL connection has actually been experiencing problems - or whether it's 'just' our long line.
If I can identify some of those problems are due to my wrong settings maybe I can try to fix it.
What's the best way to proceed?
Thanks in advance for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: A long way from the exchange ... :-(

A good start is to put the TG582n back and then install routerstats to monitor what is happening http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
Things to look at are noise margin and errors
Can you also post the stats from your router - noise margin, speeds and attenuation
Note that a speed of 3.5Mbps per se shouldn't cause the problems you are seeing
googlebox

Thank you Oldjim!
I will follow up on your suggestions later next week when I can make sure it does not affect our arrangements.
Most of the time an SNR of between 6-7 is normal for us. 
I attach a couple of screen dumps from the router. If this is insufficent please let me know.
Thank you

jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It is a little confusing so I will be interested in what the TG582n shows
These are the bits which are confusing
The up and down speeds have changed between the two screen shots and the most concerning are the upstream figures as you should be getting more than that
This would tend to point towards a possible problem
If you dial 17070 option 2 is the line quiet
The mode is shown as G.DMT which is ADSL1 whereas you should be on ADSL2 given your line length
The errors for 17 hours up time are quite low
googlebox

Quote from: Oldjim
It is a little confusing so I will be interested in what the TG582n shows
These are the bits which are confusing
The up and down speeds have changed between the two screen shots and the most concerning are the upstream figures as you should be getting more than that
This would tend to point towards a possible problem
If you dial 17070 option 2 is the line quiet
The mode is shown as G.DMT which is ADSL1 whereas you should be on ADSL2 given your line length
The errors for 17 hours up time are quite low

Thanks for the comments Jim.
Yes, I agree.  I am surprised too.
Whilst I do not think there is a problem with the Vigor, and because I'm using what I thought were  'standard' PlusNet settings my first thought is the line.  
But there again I am no expert, and that is why I agree it is more useful tofollow your guidance and work from a known position using the PlusNet router and software and a procedure which has been used before.
I will return to the forum about Wednesday 11th, when the PlusNet router gets put back and I manage the family's re-logging on with passwords .  
Once that's done, I can follow your guidance and get some stats in a form that are more easily understood in providing some sort of guidance.
 I hope this will make information available in a more objective form and you or others may guide me in fine tuning - or indeed defining a problem at our end.

Thanks again
Cool

UPDATE    7th Feb 20:53
The Wifi section of the Vigor has just failed. Shocked
The PlusNet router is now in operation, but I will give it a few days to settle down first, and then do the logging.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Our testing isn't showing any specific issues with the line.
If you can let us know once you've connected our router up we can investigate further.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team