Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A gander at my connection, please.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: A gander at my connection, please.

*&$' I thought it was getting better, but have gone back to old 582N, because of yesterday and today. 582N is old hat, but can one still get a newer model for package and postage provided one stays 12 months? Is there a link somewhere? Does, should I want to, upgrading to fibre count as breaking the 12 month agreement?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The 582n is darned good on poor lines. Which firm ware version is it on?  Does it have a USB port?

it would be very worthwhile running router stats.  See the links below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Luzern
Hero

10.2.2.B

No USB on my version, Why the mention of that?

As to Routerstats, I run the very similar DSLStats,made for routers with Broadcom chipsets.

My Billion 8800NL was bought in August 2014, though it doesn't seem so long ago, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised of failures.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That's the most up to date version of firmware provided by Plusnet for that router.  The variant with a USB port has different firmware versions.

What is the sample interval of the monitoring you are running? DSLStats logs in and out of the router for every sample whereas RouterStats logs on and stays that way.  The latter can therefore deliver more granularity - I recommend 10 second intervals which is useful for identifying SNRM transients.  If you want to use RS with the 582n then use the full version in telnet mode.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Luzern
Hero

60 seconds interval, I thought more often might be not beneficial to performance.

You say 

use the full version in telnet mode.

TBH I used to find Rouerstats full not easy to set up. I'm not sure now what  is meant by in telnet mode.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

60 seconds can miss SNRM spikes.

Telnet mode - RS can either get its stats by screen scraping the web stats page or via the router's CLI using telnet.  See my link for a guide to setting up RS with the TG router.

Luzern
Hero

I'm not seeing that link; neither at the bottom of your posts seem to refer.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Have you got signatures switched off?

RS: http://tinyurl.com/5r7udfg

Set up: https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Disconnections-and-slow-speed/m-p/1108546#M259831

Luzern
Hero

The first link takes me to where I've downloaded RS from already. I shall us the second to refine how I've set up RS. I'm not sure what you mean by, "have you turned off signatures" and can find no reference to.

Lawks, I must be getting old and senile,or something like. I see to find things hard to find etc!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Do you see a row of buttons linking to useful resources below my posts?

Capture Signature.JPG

If not then you have probably turned off display signatures in your personal settings...

Capture Signature Option.JPG

Luzern
Hero

All now looks OK. How long before I can safely ask for banding to be removed, do you reckon?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sight of some stats and RS graphs would inform that question.

Luzern
Hero

I can arrange that, but RS has only been running half a day. How long would be ideal before submitting? If needed, I do have DSLStats from the Billion that go back to the time of my troubles.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

To see anything worthwhile from RS you need to have sampling at 10 second intervals plotting 720 points per graph (2hours).

You are then looking for deviations from the normal / plots at times you percieved problems.  If at those times the plots are clean, then you do not have a line issue.

Luzern
Hero

Since swapping routers I’d say the connection has been running well with no significant errors.

ROUTERSTATS PAGE:

Uptime: 3 days, 19:43:03    DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 944 / 3,070

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 368.92 / 6.39

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.7 / 0.0    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.2 / 47.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.3 / 8.1  

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ---- 

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN  

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0  

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 

Loss of Link (Remote): -  

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4 / 0  

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,100 / 127,959  

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 404 / 4  

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 519 / 17

NOISE OVER APPROX PERIOD- Upnoise up.jpg

NOISE OVER APPROX PERIOD- Downnoise down.jpg

So it is approaching 4 days uptime without incident. How long will it be before either will be removed automatically, or I can ask for its removal, and, hopefully the interleaving depth reduced?