Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A different email problem

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: A different email problem

Lack of audible noise on the phone and the normal upload value in the results from the mybroadbandspeed test 48KBps=384kbps (by my reckoning 391 is the maximum possible with a 448kbps sync) suggest the low frequency characteristic of your line is fine.  So it's definitely a higher-frequency broadband issue.
Quote from: dave
…We can run remote line tests and see what comes up. Which I think is the best thing to do, report it as a fault and see what the woosh test comes back with and then take it from there.

I assume you will be taking that offer up.  I wonder if the best chance of a fault being diagnosed could be for the tests to be done in the presence of marginal noise margin during the day when higher values are normally expected.
David
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Could be, there are a couple of tests we can run, one might show something one of the others doesn't.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
JEB
Grafter

Quote from: dave
I assume you will be taking that offer up.  I wonder if the best chance of a fault being diagnosed could be for the tests to be done in the presence of marginal noise margin during the day when higher values are normally expected.

I was thinking it may work better if I run three BT speedtests when the router syncs under the fault threshold.  That way it is clear there is a fault.  However given how variable my line is this could take a while.
Anyway I need some sleep!  I'll report a fault through the portal tomorrow.

James
spraxyt
Resting Legend

In fact, doing the PN tests soon after a low sync supported by a BT speedtester result might give the best overall chance of spotting a fault.
Don't BT require their three tests to be done at different times of day?  Could lose the opportunity.
David
JEB
Grafter

Well my router is synced again below the fault threshold on my line and so I have raised a ticket (#22767586).
Hopefully something will get fixed this time!

James
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

The initial tests are automated so they may send the ticket back to you, if they do just reply and it'll be checked manually.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
JEB
Grafter

Well I am still having trouble getting anything actioned with my line fault.
Given that my line syncs above the fault rate during the "day", support don't seem to be keen on raising a fault with BT.  However as soon as it gets later in the "day" the line resyncs at a far lower rate.  Currently my line is synced at 2880 which is an all time low (the fault rate is 3160)
My line used to sync in the very high 4000s during the evening, and so there has been a very considerable decrease in sync rates.
Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can get the issue escalated to BT?

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Have PN actually done the manual woosh test?  If not would it be possible to do it now?
David
James
Grafter

JEB,
One of the Analysts has replied to your ticket stating that we can send it through to BT as long as you are aware of any possible BT charges should BT find a fault to be with your equipment.
JEB
Grafter

Cheers for the response.
I have just posted a reply to the ticket.
For some reason the 'fault threshold rate' has been changed on my line - which I don't agree with.
In principal I am perfectly happy to pay BT is need be, however I would first like to agree the fault threshold rate so we all know what rate my line should be syncing at.
James
Grafter

Hi again,
I've replied to your ticket.  Long and short is that the FTR can be changed over a period of 30 days.
JEB
Grafter

Well a BT engineer is going to come out.
I see from the ticket though that 'BT has not been able to identify a fault'.  Can anyone at Plusnet given me an indication why?  I would have thought that if the sync < FTR then it's pretty obvious something is wrong!!

James
James
Grafter

It means they can't see a fault from the exchange.  the engineer will work from the exchange to your house before having a look inside to see if he can identify any issues which would cause a drop in synchronisation speeds.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: JEB
I ......... then noticed an option in the router config to open or close instant messaging ports.  'Closed' was selected by default, but when I changed this to 'open' the emails worked fine.

Wow! This has just solved a problem I've been having intermittently with sending attachments since changing from a Netgear DG834GT to a DG834PN. I don't remember offhand if I had it as open or closed before changing routers or if the older router even had that option except deep in the firewall settings but it seems to have done the trick.
Many thanks!
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

By the way, when you changed the MTU on the router you did set the PC MTU to match I hope!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)