cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Few Questions Re My New Thomson Router

Spruance
Grafter

A Few Questions Re My New Thomson Router

I am pleased to say that the new Thomson 585v7 router I ordered on Wednesday has now arrived and seems to be working ok. So well done to Plusnet for a very efficient turnaround. Smiley
After the nightmare last week with what turned out to be a defective BT1801HG router my IP profile plummeted, but having used the stop gap Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem since Monday night (31st May) it has recovered to 4000kbps. This is still much less than the best achieved when the old router was last working properly so would it be a fair assumption to say that my IP profile will gradually improve once the new router 'establishes itself'?
Also, the Thomson Broadband Connection screen shows that my connection type is G.992.1 annex A. Does this mean that I am now on 21CN (the BT1801HG having been incompatible) or do I need to physically change something? Or indeed do Plusnet need to change something?
Finally (for the moment at least) I am not currently using the wireless option but it appears to be enabled. I have been supplied with a 'wireless key' so does this mean that this needs to be input before anyone can use my wireless connection (?) as obviously I don't want to become a handy wireless hotspot for anyone nearby!
Oh and one other thing whilst I remember. My account is set up for a dynamic IP address, and there is mention of this also on the router home page, but how do I change the IP address without switching off the router? I realise that there is a firewall on the router plus I have a good software firewall on the PC but all the same I don't like to use the same IP for too long. - Forget this one - I've worked that out now. Wink
Thanks for any suggestions.
Brian
10 REPLIES 10
ftoomsh

Re: A Few Questions Re My New Thomson Router

Brian with regard to the wireless question, the Thomson comes with WPA2/WPA encryption enabled so yes they'd need the key to log in. You can lock it down further by only allowing registered wireless devices access to your router even with the key. PersonallyI don't like the Thompsons implementation of this as it does not allow you to enter details manually which is preferable.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you post the stats from your router we will have a better idea but i suspect that your default noise margin has increased and that will take several weeks to imoprove
The wireless is set to WPA (I believe) by default and anyone trying to connect to it would need to use that unique key
Regarding 21CN and ADSL2+ the router should pick that up automatically I believe but that needs your exchange to be enabled and Plusnet to transfer you to it (and you need to be on a suitable product  ;D)
Spruance
Grafter

Thanks ftoomsh & Oldjim. Smiley
I'm not so bothered about turning the wireless off if the password is de rigeur. Who knows I might use it myself one day but at the moment none of my equipment has wireless capability - apart from the mouse! Grin
As for 21CN, Boston exchange was enabled in April as I recall, and Plusnet advised me some time ago that I would be switched to 21CN when that happened so until the problem with the old router arose  I had naturally assumed that I was already on it.
Anyway it's early days yet and at least it is nice to know that I have a stable connection again. Wink
Brian
Oldjim
Resting Legend

21CN and ADSL2+ are two different things although you can't get ADSL2+ without having 21CN first.
Moving to 21CN won't show up as a change to your connection in your router. It is only when Plusnet place a specific order for ADSL2+ will it happen
Spruance
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
21CN and ADSL2+ are two different things although you can't get ADSL2+ without having 21CN first.
Moving to 21CN won't show up as a change to your connection in your router. It is only when Plusnet place a specific order for ADSL2+ will it happen

Ah well c'est la vie! Grin
BTW as far as router stats go, this is as much as I can find in the Event Log at the moment, bearing in mind it has only been switched on for one hour....
Oldjim
Resting Legend

it looks as though your default noise margin has been increased to 12dB.
Unless you go for a retrain it will take several weeks to drop back to 6dB with a significant speed increase
Off topic- that isn't normally where we get them from but that is much more informative as it is the figures immediately after connecting
Just to add - for the future - you can attach images using the Additional Options and Attachments link when you post rather than going through Photobucket
Spruance
Grafter

Well I suppose I should just be patient for a while and see how it goes. At least 3.7Mbps (which I am getting now) means that BBC iPlayer works ok again as do YouTube videos (with a slight lag on HD content) so that's the main thing.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Hi Spruance,
You appear to be synching at 6432kbps so your IP Profile should rise to 5000 within 3 days ( possibly quicker ). As Jim says, it will take longer for your target SNR to drop and the speed to increase much more.
At least it's a big improvement over the speeds with the 1801HG  Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I can reset your SNR if you wish? This would set the SNR to 6db, and should give you a decent speed increase. It does reset the 10 day training period though.
Spruance
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Hi there,
I can reset your SNR if you wish? This would set the SNR to 6db, and should give you a decent speed increase. It does reset the 10 day training period though.

Well I was getting very close to 5Mbps before the old router crashed and actually had over 5.3Mbps last summer so my line can certainly support the higher speeds. On the other hand I don't want to rock the boat too much so if you think I would see some benefit then by all means go ahead, otherwise I am happy to wait and see. Smiley
Thanks for looking into this for me.
Brian/Spruance