Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Fault With my Broadband

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

A Fault With my Broadband

Hello,
I have raised a fault and Adam Walker has taken ownership of it for me (thanks Adam!). I am opening this thread to enable Adam to update me on what's going on and to let the members of the forum know how the work on the fault is going and what to expect if you have a fault similar to mine.
I have been told that I have a speed fault and that the downstream speed I am syncing at (4256Kbps) is below the minimum fault rate (MFR) for my line.
I'll keep you posted on what's going on.
Thank you,
sjrinfroyle.
Smiley
19 REPLIES 19
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Re: A Fault With my Broadband

I don't know if it's related, but the downstream noise margin has hardly dropped at all tonight. Maybe Plusnet's suppliers have fixed something that has resulted in the downstream noise margin being much better on my line.
I'll keep you updated.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

The connection held last night because of the 15dB margin. I understand that at the moment I need a 15dB margin to keep the connection stable but will I need this forever as on my attentuation I can achieve 6Mb/s and I have achieved this in the past.
Thank you for your help Adam.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I don't know if it's related, but the downstream noise margin has hardly dropped at all tonight

It wouldn't have been related as no maintenance has been carried out in relation to your fault. We usually receive our first response to a fault within 72 of raising it so I will be updating  you on ticket 51901364 primarily (can do on here too if you like) when I hear something.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Ok, thanks Adam.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Adam, I know the sync speed is below the minimum fault rate, but the sync speed is probably low because the the target SNR margin is 15dB and because I synced at night time.
Just a thought.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Things like that can have a slight effect but it wouldn't have a severe enough impact to affect the fault condition so I wouldn't worry about that.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Ok, there appears to be a new firmware available for the DGN2000 that I am using that appears to have a few fixes. Would it be okay if I updated to it?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'd advise to not change a single thing whilst the fault is being investigated to be honest, it's just to save on possible complications.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

There is a new response on the ticket, "Clear rejected".
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

I assume this means that there is nothing wrong with the connection.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I know as it was me that left it there :), it doesn't equate to much to be honest which is why I marked it as internal, essentially it means BTW haven't identified any issues yet. I'll address any relevant and important updates to yourself via here.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Oh okay :).
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Well, the sync speed (4576Kbps) is now over the MFR. This is a good sign!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've been running some tests before each time before updating this thread today, earlier this morning the SNR was 16db, now its 4db. It looks like you've tweaked the SNR again, if you have please reverse it straight away.
As we've mentioned before this won't help in the long run at all and makes the FTR totally irrelevant and I did say this earlier:
I'd advise to not change a single thing whilst the fault is being investigated

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team