Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Better ISP than PLUSNET

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

A Better ISP than PLUSNET

In view of Plusnet's problems with non-defence of their customers and/or inability to transmit encrypted data,
What would you suggest as a reasonable ISP?
I'm looking for something like Plusnet extra,
non-LLU,
broadband only.
Alternatively, I suppose I could pay Plusnet for a static ip address and pay someone else for a VPN...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7 REPLIES 7
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: A Better ISP than PLUSNET

Whats wrong with FULL TWO WAY FORCED encryption, that way the only way they can get your details is using entrapment (i.e. seeding themselves) Or just don't download the cr*p that is the top 40  Grin
I can see vpn's being big business but what happens when they start attacking the VPN providers for d/ling cr*p?
VileReynard
Hero

I was thinking that my Plusnet ip address could never show on any faulty ip gathering software, since all traffic would be via my VPN host?
But ideally, a better/different ISP than Plusnet would be faster (and cheaper).

Steve
Seasoned Pro

You will have a job trying to match what you have now Jeremy, Or at least I do, All other ISP are rubbish and my only LLU option Is T.T.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
VileReynard
Hero

I suppose you have to pay for a decent service.
I thought that simply going for an accessible UK support was enough - but they can foul things up just as easily as some outsourced rubbish operation (like BT).

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: A
I was thinking that my Plusnet ip address could never show on any faulty ip gathering software, since all traffic would be via my VPN host?
But ideally, a better/different ISP than Plusnet would be faster (and cheaper).
Your VPN provider could be forced to reveal your identity or where the VPN originates by court order (or whatever instrument is apposite in their jurisdiction) and that would lead to you, also a VPN my not actually totally hide your IP, in so much as the traffic flowing over the VPN may well contain your IP address in a way that doesn't get translated by your VPN service.  Bear in mind that TVCatchup.com say that they can detect your country of origin even when using a VPN.
If you truly want to hide your IP from everyone, then take a look at Tor, a program and system developed to protect dissidents in China from the Chinese government basically developed/funded by the US government.  However, if you read the articles associated with Tor you will see even they warn you about which applications you run, because some applications are all too happy to tell everyone lots more than you would expect or possibly even imagine.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: fourfourdevon
If you truly want to hide your IP from everyone, then take a look at Tor, a program and system developed to protect dissidents in China from the Chinese government basically developed/funded by the US government.  However, if you read the articles associated with Tor you will see even they warn you about which applications you run, because some applications are all too happy to tell everyone lots more than you would expect or possibly even imagine.

It would obviously be wrong to use Tor as it would impact upon people who have a serious need for secrecy.
BTW This is open software - it wasn't developed by the U.S. government (although they do use it for some communications).

fourfourdevon
Grafter

I know many people do use it for BitTorrent, although its slow, and yes it's open source, but I remember from when the project first went public there were a number US government types promoting it and supporting it, and from news articles that I read at the time I remember it being said that  Tor was part of the US governments attempts to get China to democratise.