Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80% loss in download speed

FIXED
MPE8
Hooked

80% loss in download speed

Hello I live In a shared accommodation where my landlord uses Plusnet for out internet. I’m getting tired of complaining to him about our connection speed dropping. Last week we only just got our connection stable again at [Removed] We are meant to get 49mb. When it’s fine that’s what we get. It dropped to 14mb but it got fixed last week but it was 14 mb for nearly 2 weeks. Now it has dropped off to 7.9mb. There is 11 devices connected and no one can do anything. This can’t keep happening and it needs to be fixed please.

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

Tags (1)
21 REPLIES 21
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: 80% loss in download speed

@MPE8 Looking at that screen shot, although it is not all the detail, I would suggest that you first check the phone line for noise - if that is clear then report a broadband fault.

Phone fault autobot: Report your landline problem | Help | Plusnet 

BB fault autobot: Report your broadband problem | Help | Plusnet 

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hey @MPE8, thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm really sorry to hear that you're having connection issues here. I'll be more than happy to run some tests on the line and take any appropriate action to improve the connection. Would you mind sending me a PM with the account username / full address? Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@adam945  From the opening post it sounds like the op is not the account holder ....my landlord uses Plusnet for [out?] our internet. Also more posts will be needed before a PM can be sent.

jab1
Legend

Hopefully the OP has followed the links in my original reply, and the system has picked up the issue, but we don't know about that.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

@RealAleMadrid I'd still be able to run some tests and offer some suggestions to improve the service. Thanks for pointing out the number of posts though! 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
MPE8
Hooked

Yeah Jab I sent your links to my landlord, thanks for the help.
MPE8
Hooked

Just so you know my account is restricted from using the PM service. Has been since it was created.
jab1
Legend

Now you have made three posts, you should be able to use the PM option. If you/your landlord have further problems or difficulty getting this resolved, post back - there may be other avenues we can explore. 😉

John
MPE8
Hooked

Okay I’ll bare that in mind, thanks Jab.
jab1
Legend

@MPE8 To help other Community members (and maybe @adam945 as well 😉), can you follow the 'Help Sheet' below?

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
MPE8
Hooked

On my profile I have uploaded a photo of my helpdesk information. We also don’t have a phone plugged in at this address nor do I know the number for the landline to do a landline test and unfortunately i can’t get that information currently as the landlord has gone on holiday. Shared accommodation can be difficult sometimes ido apologise. But my connection is hard locked at them speeds nothing I do helps or makes it worse. Even though people in this property work from home, my landlord chose not to resolve this before going away what I find unacceptable but it is what it is. If I can offer any other information to help please ask as I am desperate to get this resolved. Thank you.
jab1
Legend

@MPE8 The other information requested, and a phone line test would have been useful, but from that Help Desk shot, I think I can make an educated guess and say there is a definite issue here (most likely in the BT/OR infrastructure), although Plusnet SHOULD be able to carry out further tests from their side to confirm this - @adam945 , your (or your colleagues) still following this? - a Radius log and/or RRT/KBD might be useful?

From that screenshot, I can safely say you are having DSL drops  - several of them looking at the actual and attainable speed figures and SNR - looking at the attenuation figures, I am quite surprised they are only 13/59 max, but that could be a result of what appears to be a major issue.

Sadly, there is nothing I, as a mere Community member can do, but hopefully one of the Help Team will pick this up and assist. My suggestion, based on past experience, would be to get an OpenReach engineer out to carry out a full check, but the decision on that is Plusnets, not mine.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi @MPE8

I'm really sorry to see you're having speed issues and apologies for the very late staff response. 

I've tested your line and the tests are showing a fault, which we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate. 

As you're not named on the account, I'm afraid I can't arrange the visit with you, but if you know the account password you can find out your landline number by logging into your account via our website then going Here.

With that, you can then follow the steps @jab1 has suggested to text us and book the engineer that way. 

@jab1 wrote:

BB fault autobot: Report your broadband problem | Help | Plusnet 

Alternatively you could ask your landlord to make you an authorised user which they can do online Here. If they do that, let me know when you would be available for an engineer visit and I'll be happy to arrange it for you. The engineers are available weekday timeslots (and occasionally Saturday's) of 8am to 1pm, or 1pm to 6pm. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MPE8
Hooked

Thank you for the help and I appreciate everyone’s time and effort.