Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80 Meg service provisioned as a 40 meg port

Scottishlad79
Grafter

80 Meg service provisioned as a 40 meg port

Hi,
I have ordered the unlimited 80 meg package, the wholesale checker shows my max atainable rate as being 32meg with 5 meg upload, Should this be provided as a 40 meg port of the Fibre Cab or should it be uncapped 80,
The reason i ask this is im actually an engineer with openreach and i went to provide my own line this morning at the cab, to find the line was a fixed 40 meg at the cab not 80 as ordered,  this wouldnt be a problem if the lines max synch rate was 32 as estimated, however the router at the house is in synch at 40 meg with 9 meg upload, and an snr margin of 12db, the estimated max synch rate of the line is 57 meg.... so in theory by the line being ordered as the 40 meg product im loosing 10-17.
Could one of the support guys tell me if this is something that can be altered after my lines been in synch and stable for a few days?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: 80 Meg service provisioned as a 40 meg port

The order isn't showing as complete yet on our suppliers systems so I am unable to check what you are provisioned to. It sounds as though you have been provisioned on 40/10, most likely based on your line estimate. Once the order is showing as complete we can look at getting you moved over to 80/20 (takes 24 hours to complete).
Scottishlad79
Grafter

Thanks chris thats great,
Yeah the order wont show as complete yet, its not actuall scheduled till tomoz afternoon so i cant actually get a ppp session up yet as i expected but i have checked the order and the port and both state 40/10 which has to be better than the 1.5 meg I previously had, just seems a waste not to have that extra 10+ meg if the line can cope, ill drop you a pm chris once the line is in service and you could maybe look at it for me
Thanks again for the speedy reply.. very impressed 😉
Krem
Grafter

This is 'normal' for Plusnet, for months now my estimated line speed has been 40 meg with both site and engineers stating my line is capable of 78 meg but the most I've gotten is 20 meg (25 on a really good day), despite for a good 4/5 months I was at 37 meg.
Many have asked the same question as you only to either have the run around and flatly told outright their current speed is the best they'll get (again contrary to what I got before), many of us are still unsure if it's Plusnet themselves doing this or BT wholesale just giving wrong data so that they can prop their own service up by screwing over the ISPs renting from BT considering the load on the lines (I tend to think the latter).
Other then the speed issues Plusnet have been good to me so far, no line drops for ages quick to get things fixed and decent support. Either keep pushing this to see where it leads or just hope the infrastructure improves so that we get at least the speeds we are told we should
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@Scottishlad79
I can activate your account on our end if you're confident everything has been complete at the cabinet end of things?
@Krem
Is there anything that I can help with?
Scottishlad79
Grafter

Krem,
You could find that altho your line shows a max rate of 78 meg that would be takeing your line to the limit and would cause you more problems than good, that was why i said id leave mine till it had been in synch and stable for a while at the 40  meg as to increase the speed could make it less stable.
Its maybe worth speaking to plusnet, they should have access to 14 days data showing hour by hour how your line is performing with errors/synch rate etc, The fact you say your line has dropped from 37 to 20-25 meg suggests your lines maybe not good enough to take 78 meg as quoted by the engineer, and you may find 20-30 meg is where your "stable rate" lays...
Krem
Grafter

@ Scottishlad79 @Chris when I first had line speed dropping it dropped to a complete crawl, this was back in 2012, I had three engineers out and Plusnet looking at the issue, Plusnet found there were connection drops here and there, but that was fixed at their end and all three engineers turned around and said their was nothing wrong with the line (or hardware) at all, the line speed did return to 32meg for a time.
However I can't remember when but I think around the time the 250mb data cap was introduced  my line speed ended up 'capped' at 20 meg, I inquired why and was flat out told this was the best speed my line could achieve despite having the stable connection at 35-37 meg well before the first line drop began, I am more frustrated than anything else due to being told there isn't anything wrong with the line and yet for some reason I'm getting a poorer speed then originally  had when I first singed up to Plusnet's Fiber package.. TBH I'll be just happy getting my old speeds back, anything above that would be just a bonus
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Krem,
I've just had a look over your line and I'd suggest raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net It looks like we may need to place a reset on your line, we'd need you to go down the fault route to do this.