Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 to 40/20

xreyuk
Grafter

80/20 to 40/20

Hi guys,
When I signed up to Plusnet, the only packages available were 40/10 with a download cap, or 80/20 with totally unlimited. I originally went with the 80/20 product because I wanted unlimited usage, even though my line estimate was only between 34 and 47Mbps.
I currently sync at 46/12 but have had interleaving, INP, and delay applied by DLM in the downstream direction only. Upload is perfect.
Now that plusnet are offering 40/20 this would allow me to keep my higher upload, but also possibly make my line more stable in the downstream direction, and potentially remove DLM, making my line better for general use (I don't mind taking the slight hit in sync speed)
My questions are:
If I change to 40/20, can this be done remotely or is an engineer revisit required?
Will changing me to 40/20 reset DLM, or would I have to wait for it to catch up?
Will a 40/12 sync with no DLM be faster for general use than a 46/12 sync with interleaving and delay?
More importantly, am I allowed to downgrade, and if so, can I downgrade at any point in the future? ( I would like to wait a month or two to see if DLM reduces interleaving on my line on the current product as I had an 'eventful' first few days)
I mainly use my connection for browsing, streaming to and from my house, and downloading (although downloading is done at hours when I'm not using the internet usually). So would a non interleaved line be potentially better for me?
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: 80/20 to 40/20

Hi Xreyuk,
To address your questions in order-
1) This can be done remotely as a modify order and wouldn't require an engineer visit
2) The modify wouldn't reset DLM however it would place you back into a training period which should mean the DLM is more active in altering the speeds (both up or down)
3) It would be hard to tell on the speed front between provisioned 40/10 or banded 80/20 with interleaving, this would really be down to latency more than anything however you would lose the additional 6mbps you currently get so this would be trial and error really. If you have a line banded at 46 with interleaving and an un-banded line sat at 40 without interleaving you would probably see pro's and con's across both, latency on one versus throughput on the other.
4) You're not restricted with the amount of times the provisioned products can be changed (other than the time is takes to change them) however, these do cost money that we wouldn't normally pass on if we're doing this as part of an upgrade (where a more expensive packages is taken) or as part of a downgrade for a fault. As this matter would cover neither of these criteria the orders would be at cost to yourself. The cost of a modify on Fibre is around £11-£12 per order and this is the basic wholesale cost that we pay to BTW.
5) Interleaving affects latency so this will have a negative affect on any time sensitive activity you may carry out, this would cover things like gaming, VoIP and video calling along with streaming content (to an extent but dependant on stream quality).
The overall throughput would affect the amount of data you can get down the line so an example would be Usenet, if you're downloading files and the connection is fully utilised you would see the file downloaded quicker. In addition to this it would also be beneficial to have the higher download speed if your running multiple operations that all utilise the connection such as streaming Netflix to your living room TV while someone is streaming iPlayer to a tablet in the kitchen and another person is web browsing in the dining room.

Apologies for the basic explanations regarding latency versus throughput, hopefully this makes sense and should help to guide you with your decision on how to proceed. If you do decide to go ahead with the changes then please let me know and I'll take a look at this for you.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Clarification please
The OP is on 80/20 and is asking about moving to 40/20
40/20 is ordered as 80/20 with BT but is capped internally by Plusnet to 40/20
Why is there a cost for doing this as BT wouldn't be involved
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Jim,
There might be no external BTw costs to PN, but there is still administrative effort required, which has a cost (time, effort, machine resources), which PN might reasonably want to recover.  Spending resources for free to reduce revenue income is just not good business sense.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

That may be true but it is not what Adam said.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies both, the response I provided is aimed at a modified move to 40/10 where Xreyuk is looking to move to the 40/20 option which is where the confusion sits when coupled with the talk of modifies and change of BT products. I think I grasped the general outcome that the OP was trying to attain which is why my mind defaulted to the shift to 40/10 which could yield some benefit on where the current profile is set.
So to readdress the questions:
1) Yes this can be done remotely and is more akin to an account change with the addition of a hard profile being set on our side
2) This type of change will not make any changes to DLM or the retraining process mentioned previously
3) As there will be no change to the DLM there would be no benefit to either of the products you reference
4) You can still downgrade as you need to however as this relates to a package change this would be limited to once a month. As the 80/20 and 40/20 product is the same thing, you would see the same DLM changes if you were on either of these products so this may not be a valid option
5) The answer to question 5 is applicable here. Ideally it sounds like you would benefit more from a reduction in latency with the streaming however for the difference interleaving would make, I would have expected buffering to take care of this.
Again, please accept my apologies for the confusion regarding this one. It doesn't appear to be my day today!
xreyuk
Grafter

Hi Adam,
With regards to the streaming/buffering, I use Plex, and stream at the pretty much the maximum upload of my line so I can get better quality, so there's hardly any buffering Smiley
With regards to DLM, I understand that 40/20 is just the 80/20 product with the download speed limited. However, by capping the line to 40Mbps down, wouldn't this make the line more stable than it currently is (less errors etc), and potentially cause DLM to intervene, and possibly reduce interleaving/INP/delay?
Or would I still sync at the same speeds, and Plusnet just limit me through profiling?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Xreyuk,
We would limit the connection by way of speed profile on your account so nothing would change on the product side of the connection. You would still sync at your 80/20 speed and thus it shouldn't affect the DLM although this isn't to say that the DLM wouldn't change of its own accord regardless of you being on 80/20 or 40/20.
Ultimately this shouldn't do much more than serve to limit the amount of upload download speed where the connection is concerned so there wouldn't be any benefits to take away from this kind of change.
xreyuk
Grafter

No problem
Thanks Adam.
I think I'd prefer keep the extra sync for the extra money, I can limit my sync speeds with my router should I fancy taking on DLM Wink