cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC only 40meg at cabinet

retsil
Dabbler

80/20 FTTC only 40meg at cabinet

Hi, having recently moved to PN FTTC from BT I was offered the chance to go to the 80Mbps speeds. (Previously was getting 38Mbps with BT on 40/10)
The 80/20 order was placed by Steve in the HLC dept. But my speeds didn't change.
The OR engineer has confirm the cabinet speed is only at 40Mbps
As far as I know the FTTC cabinets are connected by fibre straight to the exchange at around 10Gbps.
Why haven't I seen any improvement in speed? (Steve has asked OR but they don't seem willing to reply!)
41 REPLIES 41
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: 80/20 FTTC only 40meg at cabinet

Some Cabinets I'm led to understand haven't been upgraded to 80/20 if they were early install. Only Plusnet can check that out, but you could try putting your phone number in here and see what it says. Don't post your phone number on here.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi retsil,
Welcome to our community forums,
I've checked over your connection and and can see that your line estimate is 25.2Mb/s, the package you're on does allow for speeds of up-to 80Mb/s, so whatever your line can support.
If you put your phone number in the link Anotherone has provided above you'll see your line estimates.
retsil
Dabbler

The checker says 25mbps, I actually get 36mbps, but this isn't the issue. The sync at the cabinet is only 49mbps - ie the speed of a 40/10 profile. With the upgrade of 80/20 only being a change to the 17a profile why hasn't the cab speed increased to 80mbps?
dick:quote
njay
Grafter

Did you mean 49mbs in your last post?
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: retsil
With the upgrade of 80/20 only being a change to the 17a profile why hasn't the cab speed increased to 80mbps?

And do you mean "the cab speed"? You have no means of knowing what the speed is at the cab, only an engineer can check that.
Unless the Cab is almost in your front garden and your line goes directly to it, you won't get 80Mbps. In most cases your line goes to your original PCP first, then to the Fibre Cab.
retsil
Dabbler

Quote from: njay

No I meant 49Mbps or 49 megabits per second if you don't like the use of abbreviations.
retsil
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
With the upgrade of 80/20 only being a change to the 17a profile why hasn't the cab speed increased to 80mbps?

And do you mean "the cab speed"? You have no means of knowing what the speed is at the cab, only an engineer can check that.
Unless the Cab is almost in your front garden and your line goes directly to it, you won't get 80Mbps. In most cases your line goes to your original PCP first, then to the Fibre Cab.

The engineer has been to the cab and checked, that's how I know.
I'm less than 200m from the cabinet, so should expect to get nearer 80Mbps than my current 36Mbps.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Well, the very maximum for 40/10 FTTC is 40Mb/s - not sure what's meant by 'Sync at the cabinet' though - at the cabinet you'd expect a 'full speed' sync of either 40Mb/s or 80Mb/s depending on the profile set.  The value of 49Mb/s is somewhat mysterious.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
James
Grafter

We're aware of this case and continue to chase with Openreach.
The quoted speed at the cabinet from Retsil is correct (we were told this by the engineer).
As there isn't (imo) any logical reason why this would be the case we are continuing to chase.
Anotherone
Champion

Clearly something is not right, however it won't be helped by confusing statements - you can't get 49Mbps from a 40/10 set-up so that is not the speed of a 40/10 profile.
If the engineer said that he was only getting 49Mbps at the Cab, was he talking sync speed or download speed? Because if it was sync speed then he should have been addressing a fault on the DSLAM.
If he was actually referring to download speed and not testing your connection to Plusnet but a generic BT test, then he should have be reporting to his bosses about BT network congestion.
If he was testing your connection to Plusnet then a check should have been made of your Current Line speed (Login required) which should equal the BT IP profile for your line obtained from the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
You can do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Edit: having just seen your post James, clearly the engineer should have pursued the faulty DSLAM issue unless it's still unclear what speed the engineer meant!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Anotherone
If the engineer said that he was only getting 49Mbps at the Cab, was he talking sync speed or download speed?

Could also have been 'Attainable speed' which is also reported by a modem (which the JDSU contains)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anotherone
Champion

Attainable speed should be 80Mbps at the Cab!
njay
Grafter

Quote from: njay

No I meant 49Mbps or 49 megabits per second if you don't like the use of abbreviations.

Roll_eyes That wasnt what I was referring to so no need to get stressed about it  Smiley
I meant that you quoted 49Mbps which is above the download rate for 40/10 service and suggested to me that the cabinet was already 80/20.
Sorry for the confusion by missing out the b as my reply should have said "Do you mean 49Mbps in your last post?"
njay
Grafter

As to the value itself there have been several mentions elsewhere of engineers saying they could see the line supports in excess of the 80/20 service. How are they measuring this?