cwaite
Rising Star

Re: 8 Months on and My Fibre Profile is Still Dropping

Double post - please remove
cwaite
Rising Star

Quote from: cwaite

I asked someone else who is a Plusnet Fibre unlimited user to check their estimate today via BT ADSL checker and they to have had their estimate speed reduced by about 20mbs begining to sound link a BT cop out as their network can't cope with increased demand.

@bjn totally agree BT need to stop messing around and actually do something pro-active to upgrade the copper wiring in places that are suffering poor connections and speeds, will obviously keep you posted via the forum on what BTOR say the reason is for the reduction.
cwaite
Rising Star

@albinocory I feel your pain but we should keep getting fobbed off, although BT Wholesale have the monopoly on the fibre connections in most area's they still need to understand that we are their paying customers and they are there to provide a service and NOT a half hearted one, if the wires aren't up to their estimations then something pro-active should be done about it.
Keep on at them until they get it right!.
albinocory
Grafter

@cwaite to be fair to PN they are trying but I know what is wrong with mine 1 of the openreach guys found out what is was and tried to help but his boss said no my line is that old it cant take the speed but looking at it my go back to asdl as still in the 90 days
AndyH
Grafter

There is little chance of BT stripping out old copper wiring and renewing it - unless your phone line stops working. It's just not cost effective to renew all the old copper and it doesn't make much sense technology wise when replacing it with pure fibre is not only cheaper, it's future proof.
cwaite
Rising Star

My line can take more than the 22.1mbs BT are now saying in their lowered estimate, I know this for a fact as for the last 8 months it has been performing at between 28-30mbs, but since BTOR have carried out some work on my cabinet in the past few weeks (photo attached) my speed and estimate has been greatly reduced, am asking BT to reverse or repair whatever they have done which has caused my speed to drop overnight.
See picture of work at cabinet below
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ssgzh3mp2jvcx1d/20130815_195644.jpg
cwaite
Rising Star

Just checked again profile fallen even further to a pathetic 17.42mbs.
rja
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33
My speeds have also steadily dropped since I joined fibre last October. It's caused by cross talk, whereby more customers join fibre & cause the slow down. There's nothing that you can do about it.

Do you have a reference for this? I can't imagine what's going to "cross-talk". You've got a fibre link from the exchange to the cabinet and then your line as a balanced pair from the cabinet to your premises.
cwaite
Rising Star

Am now getting 16.5mb which for fibre is pathetic considering I was getting around 13mb on O2 Broadband ADSL.
Just spoke to PN on the phone who said that as more people join fibre the slower its likely to get! Advised them that whilst this might be the case I cant see that many people joining overnight which would cause an 11mb drop in my download speed!
I am getting fed up with being fobbed off with excuses for a pathetic speed on my fibre, My line is around 650 meters in length from the Cabinet to my master socket (a BTOR engineer did confirm this on a previous visit) BTOR need to get off their backsides and actually replace the section of faulty cable.
Faults are currently trying to get an engineer booked for me.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Sorry to see that this issue has cropped up again, we have received an update from our suppliers that an engineer identified high resistance on the line and we're waiting for an update regarding this.
cwaite
Rising Star

@chrispurvey, Thanks for taking the time to post a message in the forum, just to confirm that the speed is back to normal my profile has risen from 17.4mbs to 32.63mbs and download speed tests show a rate of around 31mbs
I received a reply to my ticket stating the fault has been found and fixed, in the notes it stated "hr fault found in ug network" just for future reference can anyone tell me what this means?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

'HR fault' is a high resistance fault (typically a bad joint) and I'd assume that 'UG network' is underground network.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
cwaite
Rising Star

@w23
Thanks for that and I can confirm you were right about UG being Underground Network, plus.net confirmed this for me.
Well all is looking good for my connection at the moment my profile is still at 32.43mb my downloads are around 28mb which is back where I was before.
cwaite
Rising Star

Since my last post on my problem my speed download speed dropped to around 20mbs the upload speed remained at 5.1mbs, PN sent out an open reach engineer, who said that he could not see any fault but would swap me to a different pair anyway, which basically did nothing to improve my download speed and reduced the upload speed to around 3.5mbs, when I questioned him on this he said that he would monitor the line and raise the profile if it remained stable which I have found was a "load of bull" as in his actual report back to BTOR/PN he said that he found High Resistance on the cable changed the pair, and cleared the fault. I am extremely annoyed that this engineer told me one thing and reported back to PN something different, this is not the first time that BTOR engineers have told me one thing and reported back something completely different.
Anyway PN have said that BTOR will send out a PTO on 6th October (which is a Sunday this cannot be right can it?) Also can someone shed some light on what a PTO is?
My download speed has dropped even further to a measly 16.9mbs which considering my line has been measured by BTOR as being around 650 meters from the cabinet is extremely poor!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Is is booked in got Sunday 6th October. A PTO engineer is Precision Testing Officer which is what we need in this case.