cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

780WL in Bridge mode / 582N in Bridge Mode

kingqueen3065
Dabbler

780WL in Bridge mode / 582N in Bridge Mode

hi, as some will have seen elsewhere on the fora despite having been given 4 weeks notice Plusnet haven't arranged for me to receive my router before the start of my broadband with them. So I'm looking at sorting something out pro temp and for longer.
I'm with Be and at the moment I have a 780WL in bridge mode acting solely as a ADSL modem, then a WNDR3700 with DD-WRT providing gigabit wired and N wireless internal network, connected to the 780WL for the Internet connection. I also have a DG834G of unknown vintage hanging around, but I understand that as Plusnet give out speedtouch routers their DSLAMs etc. might be configured to match the chipset in STs and so give higher speed.
I've been looking at bridging under Plusnet. Initially using the 780WL ideally, then when the Plusnet 582N arrives using either the (ancient but solid!) 780WL or the 582N. I've been doing much searching and see that somebody has worked something out for bridging on the 582N having hacked around with some instructions based on bridging the 585V7 for Plusnet. But is there a better or more comprehensive guide or solution for the 780WL and/or the 582N?
I don't ask much do I 😕
Cheers!
3 REPLIES 3
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: 780WL in Bridge mode / 582N in Bridge Mode

Not sure if the 780WL is locked to a BE connection, if it is the following will not work.
You could try the following telnet commands which should enable bridge mode on a Thomson / Technicolor router suitable for connecting to PN.
ppp flush
atm flush
atm  phonebook flush
atm phonebook add name pvc_Internet addr 0*38
atm ifadd intf atm_Internet
atm ifconfig intf atm_Internet dest pvc_Internet ulp mac encaps llc
atm ifattach intf atm_Internet
eth bridge ifadd intf Internet brname bridge
eth bridge ifconfig intf Internet dest atm_Internet
eth bridge ifconfig intf Internet wan enabled
service system modify name DHCP-S state disabled
system config upnp disabled
saveall
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: kingqueen3065
but I understand that as Plusnet give out speedtouch routers their DSLAMs etc. might be configured to match the chipset in STs and so give higher speed.

I wouldn't worry about that. Be did that because Be installed their own equipment in the exchanges. The Technicolor 582n contains a broadcom chipset, most of the ADSL router stats posted on these forums give the vendor of the BT exchange equipment as IFTN or TSTC, not broadcom. But broadcom based ADSL modem/routers seem to be well regarded and also the most common these days.
kingqueen3065
Dabbler

Thank you both.
The default firmware on the 780 supplied by BE is locked to them, but I can flash generic firmware. That, and your instructions above, gives me hope I won't be netless (horrible thought!) till the plusnet router arrives.
Thank you