cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

76Mb Fibre not much faster than my 38Mb from Sky

TToP

76Mb Fibre not much faster than my 38Mb from Sky

So, my first post!
I switched from Sky 38Mb to PlusNet 76Mb Fibre, so far it's not much faster than my old 38Mb connection which pretty gave me the full bandwidth all the time, in fact my upload is slower... I am currently getting the following from BTW test:
Down: 44Mb
Up: 5.6Mb
Ping: 40
Download speedachieved during the test was - 43.54 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-47.35 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 47.35 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
5.58 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.58Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Ive tried a different modem, going direct out via a laptop and current running with a Juniper Netscreen firewall in place of the Technicolour as the final setup. I have tried setting manual port speed and duplex on the WAN port of the Juniper but this results in MUCH slower speeds so back to Auto and its as above.
Any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2
Dhaos
Grafter

Re: 76Mb Fibre not much faster than my 38Mb from Sky

you ip profile is only 47mb that might be the best you line can handle due to the length.
Put your number in here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and see what the fibre ranges are.
TToP

Re: 76Mb Fibre not much faster than my 38Mb from Sky

Thanks, have checked that out and get the following:
Featured Products                Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)         Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)    
                                                         High Low                                 High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean)                 74.5         56                                  20        17.4
FTTC Range B (Impacted)         65.3 36.5                                  20        11.9