cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 days on ADSL2+ and still a low sysnc speed.

staley84
Grafter

7 days on ADSL2+ and still a low sysnc speed.

Hi All,
I've been on ADSL2+ (Plusnet Extra) for 7days now and my router is only syncing at 8414 kbps DOWN and 444 kbps DOWN even though the plusnet site (and others) promised upto 14Mbps.
I have tried rebooting my router and also plugging it into the master and test socket but the sync rate does not improve(However, i did see it sync at just over 10,000kbps last week but it's dropped again now) . I was expecting a much higher stable sync rate given my line attenuation.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Router Stats (Negear DB834GV2 - Firmaware V3.01.38)
ADSL Link                Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed  8414 kbps      444 kbps
Line Attenuation      28 db              8 db
Noise Margin            6 db                25 db
BT SpeedTester Site:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6010 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8414 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
Plusnet IP Profile:
Current line speed - 6500
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: 7 days on ADSL2+ and still a low sysnc speed.

Hi there,
I've just run some line tests and the fault threshold rate (the maximum speed your line can perform at before having problems) is set to 7952kbps so its worth bearing in mind that this may have happened for a reason.
If you have had better in the past it would be worth raising a fault with us to see if this can be overcome. Please go to https://faults.plus.net to complete the faults checker and get this flagged with our faults team.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
staley84
Grafter

Hi Adam,
It's not that i'm having problems as such, i was just expecting my router to sync at a higher rate given my distance from the exchange and my Line Attenuation.
As i mentioned, the plusnet website suggested i should see 14Mbps when i upgraded a week or so ago. The speed calc @ http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php also backs this up.
Are some of the fluctuations i'm seeing in sync rate because the line is 'in training'?
Is it realistic to expect a sync rate of about 14,000 kbps given my router stats?
Thanks

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, no problem. See how things go over the next few days. Chances are that you may see some improvement once you are outside of the 10 day training period.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: staley84

Are some of the fluctuations i'm seeing in sync rate because the line is 'in training'?
Is it realistic to expect a sync rate of about 14,000 kbps given my router stats?

As the downstream SNR margin is 6dB and I assume these stats are soon after a resync I would say that it's very unlikely you will see much improvement in speed. Try plugging into the test socket at the master or remove the ring wire http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
staley84
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: staley84

As the downstream SNR margin is 6dB and I assume these stats are soon after a resync I would say that it's very unlikely you will see much improvement in speed. Try plugging into the test socket at the master or remove the ring wire http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Thanks for the reply.
The downstream SNR margin of 6dB is after the router has been up for about 3-4 days. I was lead to believe that my router stats were very good so i thought i'd been syncing at a higher rate by now. I did try the master socket and test socket about 3-4 days ago but it never sync greater than about 8500kbps(if my memory serves me correctly).
I havn't tried removing the bell wire as i was under the impression my router stats were good, thus negating the requirement.