Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 routers and counting

Finnigan
Grafter

6 routers and counting

Hi
    been a pluisnet customer for a couple of years now and its been fine until just before christmas last year the internet has took a nose dive from pretty good to not so good iam a gamer and ping in game is very important but just before xmas ping in game was terrable 2400ms unplayable P/net sorted it but now its back to the way it was lag spikes very slow internet i have used six different routers 3 different cat 5 cables 20 micro filters and still the slow down, I DON'T USE  wireless and its plugged in to master socket on the bt phone since i moved to this house the games i play are the old republic and star trek online and be fore you say iam well aware that both games are free to play i also play other free to play aswell and still get huge lag spikes also the browsing has slowed down too web pages do not load i sometimes have to reset the router 5-10 times a day!!!! I was asked to do a bt speedtest which i did and wait for the results also my download was just under 7mb down 334 up its now dropped to under 6mb and sometimes under 5mb What else do i need to do my end to get this fixed!!! If you need any more additional info let me know i have 6 months worth also the router iam using is a D-Link......Many Thanks finnigan
21 REPLIES 21
All4One
Grafter

Re: 6 routers and counting

Have you even tried contacting PN recently? Have any phone issues? Punctuation?
Finnigan
Grafter

Hi ALL4one
                    Yes i have contacted them about the issue and i dont have any issues phone wise no static noise ETC from the phone i was told to run three bt speed test which i have done that was on saturday i was asked to do that and not heard from them since, I guess i will wait till they contact me and if ive not heard from P/Net in a couple days ill phone em again...cheers Finnigan
Finnigan
Grafter

Hi
    Heres a tracert to plusnet and google and the bbc also i will add my router stats for any one who would like to comment on them.....Cheers Finnigan
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Finnigan
...................and still get huge lag spikes also the browsing has slowed down too web pages do not load i sometimes have to reset the router 5-10 times a day!!!!

Well that's your first problem, stop rebooting immediately. That sort of action, as you may appreciate will cause loss of sync and a resync, but what you may not realise is that the Exchange DLM (Dynamic Line Management) will see each as a dropped connection and when it sees too many, it can raise the Target Noise margin which will reduce the sync speed, and turn on Interleaving - just what you don't want when gaming.
Looking at the stats, you are syncing at maximum speed for a 20CN connection with Interleaving which is on - as evidenced by RS errors being reported and this is also reflected in the Ping times.
BUT, you say you don't use wireless, so why is there data showing for your Wireless LAN? Someone is using your Wireless connection and that could/will slow the speed of your traffic, never mind bump up your usage. What package are you on?
Turn off your Wireless and change your Modem/Router password.
Can you check your Current Line speed (Login required) and post that (not your phone number).
Finnigan
Grafter

Hi Anotherone
                          Thank you for the reply i have checked the wireless as you suggested and you are right, my HTC mobile and my mums Iphone are connected too the network i couldnt believe how much data they where sending and recieving so from today i will stop the wireless traffic and see how it goes!!! Have you any other info that would help? Thanks again Finnigan
P.S as for the line speed its not rated as i checked on plusnets website.....
Anotherone
Champion

You are Plusnet and not MAAF? That link I gave should specify a Current Line speed if you are Plusnet, it may not give an estimated speed though!
What was the BT IP profile for the line from the last BTw speedtest that you ran?
Just to check some basics, can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

HI Finnigan,
I can see that you opened a fault ticket but haven't completed the troubleshooting questions, I'd suggest re-opening a fault ticket and completing the questions so we can take a closer look at your line.
Anotherone
Champion

It's possible his problem is related to saturation of his connection by the wireless usage whilst he is gaming, ably assisted by multiple reboots! I expect if things improve with the wireless off, that he'd like Interleaving turned off.
Finnigan
Grafter

Hi there
            I have stopped the wireless side on the router and still no change on the speed and ping issues as for the mulitple reboots that only happend due to a faulty router so iam still getting lag spikes while gaming at night ....Finnigan
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Can you define 'faulty'?
What do you experience which makes you think they are (were) all faulty?
It is possible that what you are seeing which you have concluded to be faulty modems is in fact transient noise / line problems.  There are no end of issues which can cause a line to slow down, from wet weather to duff power units used for games consoles and the like.
A bit more objective information will enable other(ones) to more ably assist you.  Note that SNRM can vary from second to second; I monitor mine at 10 second intervals from which I can detect the passage of trains on the West Coast Main Line (some 1/10th mile away) and determine which direction they are going in.  Previously the same monitoring informed me that the sun was setting or had risen!
One off spot measurements are not always helpful.  I suggest that when you reach the point of thinking that there is a problem with your router, you capture the current stats BEFORE considering a reboot.
HTH

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

I'm not sure from his previous post what exactly was/is faulty - I think in any event there is only reference to one such modem/router. There's nothing at the moment to suggest that SNRM might be an issue.
@Finnigan
As I said in one of my previous posts your 'ping' times - latency - "lag" will NOT improve until Interleaving is turned OFF. The exchange DLM turned it off for a reason, which we haven't yet discovered. Whether there is any residual issues on your line is the reason that various question have been asked but you haven't answered.
You also stated in your OP 
i sometimes have to reset the router 5-10 times a day!!!!

which you now are saying was due to a faulty router which I assume you are no longer using, so it isn't really relevant.
So could you do the following -
Run  the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Check your Current Line speed (Login required) and post (not your phone number).
Post your current D-Link DSL stats.
Also please advise, can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Anotherone,
The title says "6 routers and counting" which rather reminded me of our on going journey with my problem, though I reached some level of sanity after 5 routers!
The posts thus far are short on useful data to allow assistance to be provided.  Experience tells that to fix a problem, data needs to be acquired before kicking the system to the ground and starting again (rebooting).
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Finnigan
Grafter

Hi all
        I thought i would say there is no noise form the phone line at all the routers i have are 2 from plusnet kept dropping connection 2 that didnt belong to me and my own 2 routers the d-link i use the the zyxel will not hold a connection as for gaming it PC gaming not exbox etc ill add the stat of my router and the bt speedtest and the line speed estimate also i will do another bt speed test at peak....Thanks again Finnigan
Anotherone
Champion

Next time you post, when you posts the D-Link stats can you show the CRC errors and to know what the WAN uptime is would be useful. Have you rebooted the D-Link recently? Do you keep it on 24/7?
In your first post you said that you are plugged into the master socket. Do you have any other phone sockets? Are you using any plug-in phone extension leads for the phone or modem/router - if so, how are they all plugged in?
The 2 Plusnet modem/routers that you have, are they the TG582n?