James
Grafter

Re: 6 days after Max request, query...

Brilliant Smiley
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Lucky you, double my speed and you don’t even have to try (green with envy mode)  ;).
The SNR dropping to 7 to 8db is fine for your connection, 6db is the aimed for figure by BT. Now all you have to do is wait the 10 days for it to settle in and jobs done.
Don’t forget you don’t have to download your entire months usage in one day you can spread it out a bit  ;D.
Regards, P.
Yadda
Grafter

Thanks James & Pendragon, fingers-crossed the 10 day trial goes well, especially after I start using the new ADSL cable.
Good point regarding my usage, I'll have to be careful!  Grin
Yadda
Grafter

Touch-wood, everything's still going well with the trial period.
Just wondering, does BT look at the attenuation/noise etc to determine how things are going, or do they assume everything's ok until you fail to sync?
The reason I ask is that although my downstream noise margin is 7-8db during the day, after-dark it sometimes drops to 1-4db (I assume the cause of this is streetlighting, there's a lamp-post right by "my" pole). The router seems ok with this though and my connection seems unaffected by the low noise margin. Incidentally, the router is a SMC 7904WBRA.
Here's the result of a bandwidth test I did about 10 minutes ago (with only 3db downstream noise margin).
pcoventry76
Grafter

also don't forget when you are first put onto MAX you are initially put on a 2MB profile.
i was anyway
Spider
Grafter

I changed to max last Friday (26/10) and the initial profile was 2000kbps, but by 07:20 it had changed to 7000kbps although the Plusnet portal did not update to Friday night. Since then my profile as dropped to 6500kbps for the last couple of nights and the connection is much more stable.
I can't give you a comparison re noise margin as I am unable to gain those stats from my router. These are my latest results from www.speedtest.net for comparison.

pcoventry76
Grafter

that's looking like it's stablising - it will take 3 days for the BT profile to catch up
i didn't think max was over 448 up unless you had MAX Premium which is 832
Compare it to mine lol - see how good yours is? i am trying not to go back to cable as i hate VM!

I know these sites are not accurate, none of them are as i get 84k/sec up and over 450k/sec down
I often wondered if it was my laptop causing problems i've always got better results on a desktop - which does not make sense as my laptop is much more powerful from CPU to RAM
hmm..
Spider
Grafter

I am participating in Ians "quick and dirty beta trial" for a Pro Premium product. Grin
pcoventry76
Grafter

lol ive got 832 upload aswell - James put it on for me. i e-mailed Ian but he didn't reply
Yadda
Grafter

Sorry to drag this old thread back up but I just noticed your upload figures! How on earth do you get it so high, are you are on a different package to me? (I'm on the legacy Premier Option 1.)
Spider
Grafter

The reason the upload figures are so high is that we are participating in a trial for a Pro Premium product which uses Max Premium rather than Max. The maximum downstream is the same but upstream can be up to 832kbps depending on the usual Max factors. I am currently averaging 677kbps upstream for UK servers and 457kbps for US ones.
I am not sure if any one is trialling this outside the BBYW Pro product.
Yadda
Grafter

I see, very nice.
Max pro trials aside, I've been thinking about moving to BBYW Pro.
Currently, with Premier 1 I'm tied to an annual contract, paying £22.99/month and can download 13GB/month before I have to either pay for more or have my speed reduced for the remainder of the month.
With BBYW Pro I could pre-pay for an extra 4GB for £3 giving me 14GB/month in total (1GB more than I currently get, and for the same price, i.e. £19.99 + £3). I'd also have more flexibility (I believe BBYW Pro is a monthly contract) and better online gaming performance. O yes, I'd also get a free router too.
The only benefit I can think of for staying with the package I'm on is the more generous off-peak period of 00:00-16:00 (compared to 00:00 - 08:00 on BBYW products).
Hmmm, decisions, decisions...