cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5mb down/20mb up after installation

aurys

5mb down/20mb up after installation

Hello,
I just had FTTC installed and I am getting 5mb download. The checker thingie says:
Estimated line speed:
    59Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2013-10-17 14:34:03
Current line speed:
    78 Mb
Is this normal?
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: 5mb down/20mb up after installation

Hi aurys,
Your account profile is set correctly, could you run a speedtest at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com and run further diagnostics post your results?
aurys

Download speed (Mbps) 1.75, Upload Speed (Mbps) 2.29, Ping Latency (ms) 43.00
Further diagnostics says: 
No Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) services have been found at this address. Please check the postcode or use the Telephone Number or Service ID to conduct the test.
Click here to try again.
aurys

Oops, I put FTTP, for the FTTC it says :
The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.
aurys

The latest one I got is 6d/12u with 33.13 ping, further diagnostics still not working
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Is that over a wired or wireless connection, have you been able to test this on more than one device?
aurys

It was wired, but it is now working fine, getting the estimated speeds, thanks for your help.
aurys

I switched to wireless now and I am surprised that neither my laptop (placed next to the router) nor my PC (further away) can get more than 22mb download.... Wired is working fine though. Is there anything I can change on router settings?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to see that's much improved.
For your wireless you could try changing your wireless channel, a guide can be found here.
Are the devices your're trying to connect wireless with wireless N do you know?
aurys

I have enabled N mode on my card and changed the wireless channel, it is now maxing at 35Mb. Still quite low when compared to the 60 that I get through wired, would ideally like to get more.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Try using inSSIDer from the link I provided to find the best channel to use.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If using the Plusnet Technicolor TG582n there's a few 'tweaks' on here: http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#w300
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
aurys

Chris: I did that, there are only two or three other networks and none of them are using channel 5, which is what I chose.
W23: Thanks. Which of the tweaks could help me speed up the wireless connection?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Not too sure to be honest but others may have tried them (I don't have a TG582n).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: aurys
I have enabled N mode on my card and changed the wireless channel, it is now maxing at 35Mb. Still quite low when compared to the 60 that I get through wired, would ideally like to get more.

Are you able to see what connection speed the wireless card is reporting.
Not all wireless N cards have the same capabltiies.