Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

585 v8 firmware

caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: 585 v8 firmware

Hi Jo,
I wasn't sure if my profile might be stuck or whether I just needed a bit more patience. I did (unsuccessfully) attempt a BT Speedtest shortly before posting earlier (about 7.30 a.m). I've just tried again, and I'm getting exactly the same error message:
Test Error
The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.
caulbox
Rising Star

....just done a successful test at 4.45
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Looks like BT have not caught up yet with their IP profile change. Until BT change it, Plusnet have their hands tied. I suggest you do another test tomorrow and hope the profile has increased.
caulbox
Rising Star

Same (7150 Kbps) BT profile at 7.30 a.m. this morning. One thing that's got me scratching my head a bit is why my downstream output power is now reported to be zero? Could that relate in any way to my earlier comments about reduced output power on 20CN and/or cause possible glitches with BT's updating after 21CN migration?

(note to mods)
Seems my contribution to this topic is now gradually shifting emphasis away from firmware related considerations. Maybe it would be best if a new moved topic could be started from Reply 13 with a title like
"Stuck with 20CN profile after 21CN migration"
caulbox
Rising Star

....another BT test at 12.45 p.m. with similar results. Maybe I'm just showing my ignorance now, but what exactly is BT referring to prior to the start of the testing when I'm informed of "my configured download throughput speed for this service"? Is that just an advance statement of BT's own profile for my line, or is there any possibility whatsoever that sometimes things might work in reverse so that a stubborn Plusnet profile might (on rare occasions?) actually be the cause of a ceiling on BT's?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

"Configured download throughput speed for this service" is simply a statement of your BT IP Profile but trying to use words that users might better understand. I think the intention is to better set user expectations, the measured speed can't physically be more than that value. In fact in a real situation it will be less than that due to the overheads of managing a connection.
The Plusnet "Current line speed" profile doesn't feed back to BT, but if set below the BT IP Profile value will reduce measured download speeds.
I would be inclined to try restarting the router (once) via the "Restart my Thomson Gateway" task on the Thomson Gateway page to see if that prompts the DLM into increasing your IP Profile. Now that you are on 21CN the BT IP Profile should be 88.2% of your sync speed.
David
caulbox
Rising Star

Quote from: spraxyt
I would be inclined to try restarting the router (once) via the "Restart my Thomson Gateway" task on the Thomson Gateway page to see if that prompts the DLM into increasing your IP Profile.

I've been pondering about that - but kid gloves go hand in hand with my trial. So I thought I'd wait for an official response first, in case the problem is identifiable (and fixable) by BT or Plusnet.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi caulbox,
I've just tried running some diagnostics but it wouldn't let me go too far without telling me that you were in the stabilisation (training) period. I'll have a word with one of the faults guys tomorrow and see if they can come up with any ideas.
Jojo Smiley
caulbox
Rising Star

Thanks Jojo,

To reinforce my last comment....I don't think I've EVER had occasion to reboot my router since the day it was first plugged in. That's partly why I was/am reluctant to choose the start of a training period for introducing such rare behaviour. I do find my router's reporting of zero output power a bit odd, but I'll continue to wait and see if you can find an alternative to asking me to reboot (incidentally although the router's linestats continue to report zero down power, I did notice later that the (linestate up) event logged at the start of the connection stated Power Down: 21.0 dBm. Since then the only events logged have been regular syncs every hour.

Nov 15 04:15:59 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.5; downstream: 18203 kbit/s, upstream: 1195 kbit/s; output Power Down: 21.0 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 20.0 dB, Up: 9.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.0 dB, Up: 7.5 dB)

I'm well into my second day now, and on a positive note the connection has remained very stable (albeit with a 20CN profile). With the lower SN margins my error count has increased a bit from the paucity I used to get. But the error count is still quite low so I'm hoping that might augur well for a much faster but still very reliable connection? ....eventually  Smiley

Link Information   

Uptime: 1 day, 17:36:23
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A 
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,195 / 18,203 
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00 
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0 
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.5 / 20.0 
SN Margin (Up/Down) []: 6.5 / 6.0 
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN 
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 155 / 0 
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 35 / 0 
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 
Loss of Link (Remote): 0 
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 59 / 0 
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0 
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 208 
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 148
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI caulbox,
Yes, it does look like you'll get a good speed. I only wish I could do something now, but like I said last night, I'll have a word with one of the faults guys and see what they can come up with.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi caulbox,
Looks like it's changed now, I'll change it on our side. Let me know what you're seeing on a BT Speed test now.
Jojo Smiley
caulbox
Rising Star

YEEHAW! Certainly has improved! Thanks Jojo Smiley

My BT profile is now 16060Kbps which is indeed 88.2% of my 18203Kbps sync, whilst my Plusnet current line speed is now 15 Mb.

I've also noticed that I started a new PPP internet connection at 11.01 a.m. (twixt your last post and my new fast 11.15 a.m. BT Speedtest). I'm very grateful indeed for whatever buttons you might have pressed or contact you've made with others on my behalf to get things moving. Smiley

Cheers!

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Nice. I'll change our side to 16000 to give you that extra lift Smiley
caulbox
Rising Star

picked up with thanks Smiley

Yet again my router seems to have started another PPP internet connection shortly after your post (at 15:15). Please tell me this is normal behaviour related to manual changes of my profile Roll_eyes rather than any drops in connection that might be more worrying during this training period Undecided
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

A short PPP session drop when your Plusnet profile changes is normal (whether done manually or by the automated systems). It is required to change the traffic management profile on your account to give you the increased speeds  Smiley  ).
David