Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

585 v8 firmware

droom
Dabbler

585 v8 firmware

Hi
I've been told that I'm soon to get ADSL2+ and I should start to prepare and get the modem firmware upgraded. I can't seem to find where the download is.
I'm on a mac. can anyone help please?
59 REPLIES 59
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: 585 v8 firmware

The available firmware is linked from the Community Support Library article How to Upgrade / Downgrade the Firmware on the Thomson 585v7 and 585v8. However the firmware on the Thomson TG585v8 is already ADSL2+ compatible and it is likely that yours already has the latest firmware which is v8.2.7.8. The article explains how to check.
In any case a PC is needed to run the firmware upgrade process; if you only have access to a Mac then Plusnet would have to upgrade the firmware remotely for you.
David
caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hope you don't mind me tagging along with a related question in your topic as I'm in a similar position. No definite date yet but I think ADSL2 is imminent here too. I've a Thomson TG585 v7 which still uses the original 7.4.4.7 firmware, and you've now got me curious as to whether I'll also need to upgrade too. No pun intended, but I'm a 'firm' believer in the if it aint broke, don't fix it adage, and I'm well used to a rock solid DSL connection with 100 day uptimes. Apart from the XSS vulnerability in my firmware (which I *think* I'm guarded against by using a custom Administrator password?) are there any compelling reasons for me to upgrade my proven trusty router firmware to 8.2.6.5?

Cheers
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The TG585v7 with v7.4.4.7 firmware is also compatible with ADSL2+ so there's no need to upgrade on that score.
David
droom
Dabbler

Thanks  Smiley
caulbox
Rising Star

...and thanks for confirming that my firmware is compatible as well, spraxyt Smiley
I'd be grateful if you're able to further elucidate on the nature of the security vulnerability in 7.4.4.7 and reassure me as to whether my understanding of being (100% ?) guarded after changing my password is correct?
ADSL2+ compatibility issues aside....would you advise me to upgrade for any other reasons?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Sorry, although I know what an XSS vulnerability is I can only guess how this is exploited on that version of the firmware. With computers one can never be sure anything is 100% guaranteed. However setting a secure password on the Administrator account should go a long way towards that.
Whether to upgrade to firmware v8.2.6.5 or not is a matter of choice. Personally I probably would but I'd do it at a time well away from migration to 21CN/ADSL2+. That way avoids two potential causes of complications occurring simultaneously. That's not to say I expect either change to cause problems.
If the firmware upgrade does cause problems it is possible to go back to 7.4.4.7 if desired.
David
caulbox
Rising Star

Many thanks for your further advice spraxyt. Whilst I didn't presume that your expertise would extend to precise knowledge of firmware variations for a particular hardware company and product, your answer is very helpful. At the moment I think my decision whether to upgrade hinges upon gleaming more definitive insight into the precise nature of the security vulnerability (perhaps from Plusnet staff during office hours).

Your comments about choosing a time well away from migration to 21CN/ADSL2+ echo the concerns I've been musing over myself (which prompted my decision to post in this topic). Unfortunately I don't know exactly when the change is set to happen. I received the "good news" email from Plusnet on 21st Oct which informed me that migration is expected "to happen within the next 5 weeks." But the Plusnet Exchange Status Checker continues to state that "BT have advised that no current planned date for WBC on 21CN exists". I get a bit more confused when I check my exchange details in the Samknows UK Exchange Search which for quite a while now has been telling me that "21CN WBC status: RFS date set : 31/10/2011" (I've no idea what RFS means?)

I realise that I'd have the option to revert back to 7.4.4.7 if the firmware upgrade was to cause problems. But again in that regard I'm inclined to be guided by the if it aint broke, don't fix it logic before rushing ahead to flash my hardware with an upgrade that maybe isn't too crucial and might prove to be detrimental - just possibly in some lingering (damage done) way even after reverting back. The steady 100 days+ DSL uptimes which are not uncommon with my current set-up also go hand in hand with very few reported errors. For example, at the time of posting though my uptime is only about 45 days, the stats reveal just a paucity of errors during that time, which is quite typical of a pattern of reported error frequencies that I'm now accustomed to. I'm reluctant to rock such a steady sailing boat if it isn't necessary.

Link Information 

Uptime: 45 days, 23:27:49
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A 
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128 
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00 
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5 
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.5 / 17.0 
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 12.5 
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC 
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 132 / 0 
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 33 / 0 
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 
Loss of Link (Remote): 0 
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 51 / 0 
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0 
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 60 / 219 
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 29 / 159
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I've no idea what RFS means?

Ready For Service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

caulbox
Rising Star

Thanks - I can dispose of all my techie acronym dictionaries now Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The staff might be reluctant to say much about the nature of the XSS vulnerability - security matters are not normally discussed in open forums.
You are much closer to 21CN/ADSL2+ migration than I'd assumed from your first post. Since migration could occur within days I would be inclined not to change anything until well after that takes place, perhaps into the New Year since BT are due to implement delta reports for 88.2% IP Profiles in December. (There is a long thread on 88.2% profiles.)
My ADSL2+ connection has been synced with the exchange for 114 days now so there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to achieve similar reliability. Your 20CN stats are impressive. You might find the 21CN DLM tries your connection with a downstream target noise margin of 3dB (the minimum on 21CN). Upstream you should be able to get around 1Mbps sync speed with upstream uncapped.
David
caulbox
Rising Star

Quote from: spraxyt
You might find the 21CN DLM tries your connection with a downstream target noise margin of 3dB (the minimum on 21CN).

Thanks for the further info. Up until now I've never had to concern myself with noise margins. My SNR margin has consistently been around 12.5dB (fluctuates at most between 12 and 13). Rightly or wrongly (to quote from the kitz linestats page) my understanding has been that:
very good lines which would be able to sync in excess of 8Mb and which are currently syncing at 8128 or 7616 will show the SNR Margin as being higher due to the line not having reached its full potential. Such lines may well have the output power reduced in order to minimise crosstalk for other connections, therefore the SNRM figure is not an indication of the true target in these particular cases.
It's going to be an interesting learning experience for me to see just what does happen on 21CN. I'm obviously hoping that a smooth migration will seamlessly maintain my reliable connection (at least after the training period). However, in spite of my good 20CN stats, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the migration doesn't awaken any latent (internal wiring) problems. The phone line enters this property in my bathroom upstairs, and runs down the steps (hidden under the stairs carpeting) into the master socket in my living room. Shortly after I moved here about 7 yrs ago the (rented) property underwent a major refurbishment, including complete electricity re-wiring. The electricians had occasion to lift the carpet which had been firmly nailed to the stairs. To cover themselves from any blame they immediately drew my attention to a big hole in my BT telephone wire caused by some misguided nailing in the past. I did contact BT at the time to report my discovery of the damaged wiring that I'd inherited. But BT wouldn't initiate any repair because a remote test during our conversation found no errors.
That said, the hole was VERY worrying indeed to look at. Though the damaged wire has remained hidden under the carpet again ever since, I couldn't help remembering about it when I first signed up for broadband. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I found myself blessed with such a good connection. I won't pretend to understand the technical intricacies of faster broadband. But I'm hoping that either my worries were unfounded and the damage to the wiring isn't as serious as it appeared to be, or that 21CN will prove to be just as tolerant to any shortcomings in my internal wiring.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Interesting.
All the more reason to make no changes ahead of migration. Smiley
David
caulbox
Rising Star

Just to update....looks like ADSL2+ did indeed commence for me a litle over three hours ago (4.15 a.m. this morning). According to my event logs, the initial changeover appears to have been smooth and problem free. Early days yet, but here's where I'm starting from shortly after the migration.

Link Information   

Uptime: 0 days, 3:13:41 
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A 
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,195 / 18,203 
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00 
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0 
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.5 / 20.0 
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 6.5 
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN 
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 155 / 0 
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 35 / 0 
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 
Loss of Link (Remote): 0 
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 59 / 0 
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0 
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 8 
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi caulbox,
Looks like your profile is still stuck on the old 20cn speed. Can you post a BT speed test to show what your BT profile is?
Jojo Smiley