cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

57k/s Not good enough.....

suesykes
Grafter

57k/s Not good enough.....

I know it will go faster... Its been a lot faster.  I'm going to start looking into other ISP's this week.  If my speed hasn't improved by the end of the month I'm going to sign up elsewhere.
I am only getting 57k/s at best, used to be well over 100k/s.  Technical side of stuff is gobbledegook to me... I have posted speed tests and checked all the bits over and over. 
C'mon guys give me my speed back.
17 REPLIES 17
James
Grafter

Re: 57k/s Not good enough.....

Hi Rick,
At 10/02/2008 18:22:48, your profiling increased back to 1000Kbps, so if you reboot you should notice an improvement in speed.
I have to be frank with you though.  with the length of your telephone line, there *will* be fluctuations in speed and your connection speeds *will* drop down to 500/750Kbps again because of the quality of the signal that you will be receiving.
[Moderator's note by Peter (PJ): Corrected typo for clarity.]
chillypenguin
Grafter

And to add, that will be no different with any other ISP.
suesykes
Grafter

Sorry to bring this back to the top.... but... My connection has dropped speed again.  Back to 57k/s.
Done various speed tests from all over and its getting less than a 512k connection....  My line is capable of 2mb connection..... Why dont I have this, and why has it been slowed from the 1mb connection I had?
I'm paying for 8mb, if my line cant deal with that speed I am happy to take less, but 512k is not playing ball... I can get a 512k connection for less.
James
Grafter

Rick,
I'm afraid that you are going to have to accept that the speeds on your line *will* fluctuate because of the nature of ADSL and the fact that you are on a long line.
There is nothing that we can do to stop this happening.
suesykes
Grafter

But why is my line only showing a 512k connection?
If its capable of a 2mb connection why dont I have it.  I am not over using my service at all.  Yes I'm on all day every day, but I am not hitting my limit.
I still get hit by peak time as everybody else does, but its all the time. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Bacause your line is no good, wont handle faster
James
Grafter

Your line isn't capable of a 2Mbps connection.  I'm guessing that your quoting from the BT estimation, which is just that, it's an estimation.
Your line is on the very limit of being able to actually receive a broadband service (attenuation of 63.5dB) which will mean that your speeds will fluctuate because of the distance that you are from the exchange.
I'm not trying to fob you off, it's just how ADSL works.
suesykes
Grafter

So in short I can sign up for 512k connection and get the same speed as my 8mb one.
James
Grafter

Yes.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

littlerick
My parents had the same issue when moved to Max. They have an attn of 63.5dB, and used to use a modem, and had an SNR of 4dB. Max was very intermittant to say the least. I mananged to persuade Plus to try them on a fixed 1Meg, as this is what they had before Max, and moved them to a router, and now they are very stable, SNR of 9dB, but max would not make a hugh difference to this. Can you not get a 1Mb connection?????  Moving to a differnet ISP would not make any ounce of difference, even to a provider that does ADSL2+, your estimated max speed would only be around 1.5 to 2meg maximum. 
suesykes
Grafter

When I first signed up I was downloading at 150 - 200 k/s. Now I get 57k/s. 
I understand I am pushing the limits, I'm not an expert at any of this, but my eyes work..... I was getting a lot faster speeds than I am now.  Just cant understand the BIG difference... It is 1/3 of the speed I was getting to start with.
kryten1st
Grafter

I used to have a line attenuation around 60db and was told I must have a long line etc.. etc.. and would never get more than 1 meg.  It turned out to be an RF filter next to my main bt socket, when this was removed bang over 6 meg.  Worth checking you never know.  I think PN should keep this is mind and tell customers with this kind of problem to check if they have this type of filter.
MickKi
Grafter

I don't know if littlerick has checked his filters and, or his home telephone wiring, but just to make doubly sure, replace ALL the filters and move your modem/router to the Master telephone socket.  My favourite make is Excelsus (Z-420UK-A) - if you google for these you can buy them online, but I have also found Belkin (e.g. from Argos) and Comet's new own brand being of relatively good quality.
You will definitely further improve matters if you disconnect the bell wire from all your telephone sockets (google for instructions) and earth it on one end.  Then leave your modem/router on for up to 5 days continuously.  Re-sync your router and hopefully you should be at a better link speed than what you get now.  If after all the above end user troubleshooting you still get low speeds . . . then to get anything better than that you will probably need to ask BT to run a fibre cable all the way to your desktop . . .
HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick
suesykes
Grafter

Its a bit like buying a 50" Plasma TV... When you open the box, you have a 14" portable.
Nothing at my end has changed since day 1... Same socket (the only socket)... Same PC and same ISP... Only difference is my speed is almost a third of what it was.
My first speed tests  came in at the 1800 mark, now its lucky to hit 800... I'm genuinly feeling ripped off somewhere.
I dont send a payment thats only a third of the price, I pay the same as a guy getting the full 8mb.